[SOLVED] Windows 10 fresh install, won't recognize wireless network even after installing drivers from Gigabyte

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I upgraded a really old PC about five years using leftover parts. It turned out fine. Except when I did the fresh install of Windows 10 it didn't recognize any wireless network. It prompted me for an ethernet connection. I finished the install process and it was the same thing. So I hopped on my other pc and downloaded the appropriate drivers from Gigabyte.

1) it won't take any of the BIOS drivers but I'll deal with that later or maybe it's relevant now?

2) It still refuses to see any wireless network. The network adaptor I have is a LinkSYS USB that was working prior to this. In Device Manager it shows up under "Other Devices" (right underneath "Network Adapters") and is called USBWLAN so the pc knows what it is but keeps saying it doesn't have a driver. I've installed the lan drivers from Gigabyte twice. I've installed all the drivers except the BIOS and the optional ones, and some Intel USB 3.0 drivers that said my system was too inadequate to take. (Even though it has at least one usb 3.0 slot.)

mobo - Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H rev. 2.0
cpu - Intel i3 4150
os - Windows 10 64 bit version 20H2
ram - 24 GB, 2x4 + 2x8 DDR3
gpu - PNY GeForce GTX 560 ti
psu - EVGA 550w, not even 2 years old
cooler - Noctua NH-L9i

Last edited:
Solution
I fixed it by physically moving the pc to the ethernet cable. Windows Update did all the rest with the drivers, turns out it was a LinkSys driver I needed to connect to the internet. BUT...

It did not swap my Windows license to the new pc. The Microsoft account showed both the old and the new devices (motherboards), when it should have just transferred it the minute I logged into the account. I made sure to link the account with the Windows license before I started all this, I don't know what happened. Quite infuriating, until I realized it was the original case that had the Windows sticker with the product key on the side. Huzzah!

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I fixed it by physically moving the pc to the ethernet cable. Windows Update did all the rest with the drivers, turns out it was a LinkSys driver I needed to connect to the internet. BUT...

It did not swap my Windows license to the new pc. The Microsoft account showed both the old and the new devices (motherboards), when it should have just transferred it the minute I logged into the account. I made sure to link the account with the Windows license before I started all this, I don't know what happened. Quite infuriating, until I realized it was the original case that had the Windows sticker with the product key on the side. Huzzah!

Solution