News Windows 10 gets Copilot as part of mandatory update — turns AI widget into a full-fledged app on the taskbar

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Find a tech related company that does not have "AI!!!" plastered all over their website then I will do 20 pushups.

You may now commence.

Reactions: hotaru251

KnightShadey

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020

You may now commence.

That's only because they sold their Imagjng department that was doing the Ai work a coupla years ago. They are a shadow of their former self...

Loved that company 😩 , even visited them in Mtl, had many of their cards in my life. 🤩
Morrowind on the Parhelia spanned across 3 projectors in an arc was Jaw-droping. 😲🤯 Sure mod'ed R9500 (aka 9700) was best at most things, but OOooohh Elder Scrolls on the Parhelia was better than the R8500DV AIW in almost every way (Truform the only exception). wish I had more time with that setup.
Dual/TripleHead2Go never quite equalled that for the limited time it was popular/available. 🫤

content_dam_vsd_en_articles_2018_03_machine_vision_software_with_deep_learning_capabilities_from_matrox_imaging_to_be_shown_at_the_vision_show_2018_leftcolumn_article_headerimage_file.png

IMG-5104.jpg

bruh i hate exercising :(

You can probably stop now.... 😜

NatalieEGH

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
I'm glad I disabled automatic updates, I hate it so much when MS shoves crap like this as "mandatory", for the average user AI is anything but or important for that matter. If only Final Fantasy XIV and Star Trek online ran on linux...:pensive:
What is the latest status on WINE? It is funny but the only reason I still use Microsoft software is for gaming. Every other application I have on my computer runs or has an equivalent that runs on Ubuntu.

The OS is much faster and much smaller too.

Jul 12, 2024
I think there is a misunderstanding. You would only get Copilot on Windows 10, if you joined the Windows Insider Program, and installed the optional Preview Update, AFAIK. (I think that's what the article is trying to say.) And then, then Copilot part of this mandatory update is just irrelevant to you, but for some reason this change is inseparable from the core OS updates. I'm not sure in this so I would like to see this confirmed. But that explains why some of us don't see Copilot on their system even after installing the updates.

Reactions: ThomasKinsley

NatalieEGH

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
How can I tell if Copilot is on my system? It does not appear in the system settings list of installed programs.

I do see SirWolf2018's message. I do not think I have never heard of "Windows Preview Update". So maybe I do not have it.

Last night when I did a system restart selecting "Restart" not "Update and Restart". The system began applying update KB5040427, I think. It got a bit messy for a moment. My system when it restarted came up to the nice beautiful landscape screen when usually I put in a 4 digit number and sat there. When my keyboard lit, I tried clicking on my mouse to get the input box. My system gave me a message about something failing. About 10 seconds later just as I was about to write down the error message, another screen popped up saying the system was rebooting automatically (very politely like if someone was saying "Let me carry that bag for you") and it rebooted.

When the system restarted it was system restart from my old Windows 7 drive, not my Windows 10 disk. I used the system restart button to force a shutdown, go into bios, reset my system restart device to point to the Windows 10 Pro drive, and restarted the system. The restart finished the update (very slow) and worked normally. However I can find no information about Copilot that this article was saying was being installed on my system.

I do have older equipment for CPU and motherboard, Intel i7-4770K on ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 motherboard. I also do not keep a microphone or camera connected unless when in one of my online language classes.

Last edited:

NatalieEGH

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
I think there is a misunderstanding. You would only get Copilot on Windows 10, if you joined the Windows Insider Program, and installed the optional Preview Update, AFAIK. (I think that's what the article is trying to say.) And then, then Copilot part of this mandatory update is just irrelevant to you, but for some reason this change is inseparable from the core OS updates. I'm not sure in this so I would like to see this confirmed. But that explains why some of us don't see Copilot on their system even after installing the updates.
I do not think I have ever heard of Windows Insider Program until your post. Once again MS made Bing my default browser and when it triggered I saw Copilot listed and wanting to be started.

Silas Sanchez

Proper
Feb 2, 2024
It's a true turning point in history right now, because Windows isn't windows anymore, its literally unfit to be a desktop. Asking for a proper windows OS is like asking for an expedition to discover the source of the congo. Microsoft have turned it into a spyware vessel with the intent on you never tinkering with it, sitting it front of it being milked for every cent. Its disgusting, but that's what is legal, at one point slavery was legal only until enough good willed men finally apposed it.

AI isn't free, its just a shameful means to milk people and like slavery if there are no laws people will just do it. I will never tolerate AI because it isn't free. I first heard about AI thinking it would be like a desktop companion you own, like one of those AI's in a movie where you can engage in a conversation about the meaning of life. instead its a sick misuse of technology to milk people along with being incapable of any meaningful conversation and riddled with misinformation. Thats all AI is.
But the real problem is the masses who actually believe this garbage, they actually think its sophisticated amazing tech.

I have had updates disabled since at least Vista, Sorry Microsoft you wont be putting that wicked stuff on my machine..hehe...no thank you....hehehehe....the nerve........ no thank you!.

Reactions: SirWolf2018
Jul 15, 2024
This article is very misleading and doesn't contain any links to the Microsoft source articles that state that this change is going to happen.

And you should've identified the editions of Win10 that will be affected.

Back in Nov/Dec 2023, the monthly Microsoft update rolled out Copilot to Win10 Home and unmanaged Pro systems. Enterprise, Education, and managed Pro systems were excluded from that change.

After seeing this article and the lack of specifics from Microsoft, we contacted MS support. They responded saying "KB5040427 does not include any kind of update for copilot".

We've installed the updated on our Win10 Enterprise systems and haven't seen Copilot appear yet.

We don't want Copilot in our environment yet, so articles like this that don't provide more/better details, ends up making us jump to see what's actually going on.

STF

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I do not think I have ever heard of Windows Insider Program until your post. Once again MS made Bing my default browser and when it triggered I saw Copilot listed and wanting to be started.
I have it. You become a beta machine. The only way out is to do a fresh windows 11 (in my case) installation.