Windows 10 High Demand System Resources on Startup

el_dorado67

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
I am writing this in frustration with Windows 10.

On Startup when you want to use your computer, its configuration starts up programs and security scanning of your disk drive so as you can't use your computer for 5-10 minutes.

I have previously installed a manager to prevent this and gone through startup items. It would be better for Microsoft to give you the option for this to be done when you turn it off. It would be ok as you have finished what you are doing, but don't let customers get in the way of Microsoft.

So I have Windows Defender which I think is the primary cause and I want to disable this. I think installing PANDA was good from another machine I had. That machine has now a failed disk drive (well it is failing to start WIndows 10 so I am going to do a config setup with another hard disk that is much older and also a reliable disk) and I initinally installed Windows 7.

I will return to Windows 7 because if you want to do offline things it makes sense. Windows 7 had much less demand on system resources and that machine has 4GB and Windows 10 put terrible strain on it.

So here is my plan of attack.

I want to:

1 Either disable or prevent scanning at startup by security software.
2 Disable startup programs that should be option-able startup.
3 Run Windows Search and other hard drive hoggers (when you are using the machine!) when I am away from the machine, ie screensaver on!
4 Manage my hard drive so I keep it healthy.

I know many people will say 5-6 years is a good run for a hard disk, but I disagree. Depending on the usage of the PC. If the hard drive is placed under strain and stress everyday, yes, maybe. But if it is only started 1-2 times a week it should last longer than 5 years.

In any case Windows 10 needs a configuration tool (I know the tools like Startup) easily accessed and is not overcome by huge amounts of options or a private company keeps pushing updates etc.

For machines with 4GB I don't recommend Windows 10 unless you set it up with a config tool to prevent your hard drive from being crushed by Microsoft. Having more RAM is helpful but I believe I have uncovered performance limitations with hardware when Windows 10 is used. It is heavily demanding and is like a bull that needs to be tamed.

I also want to get more basic. The creators update was filled with stuff I just don't use or need.

I remember Windows 7 is good at this-putting your disk to work when you are idle. That is good resource management.

Solution
How old is your PC??

Cause
On Startup when you want to use your computer, its configuration starts up programs and security scanning of your disk drive so as you can't use your computer for 5-10 minutes.
is not normal. If PC was made in last 7 years or so, then booting shouldn't take any longer than 1 minute and you should have access to PC right away.

4gb machines should upgrade to 8gb or more, and use 64 bit

Colif

Win 11 Master
How old is your PC??

Cause
is not normal. If PC was made in last 7 years or so, then booting shouldn't take any longer than 1 minute and you should have access to PC right away.

4gb machines should upgrade to 8gb or more, and use 64 bit

Solution