[SOLVED] WIndows 10 Home 2004 updates

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
I have been having this problem for the past few weeks now, but whenever I have an optional update that I "can" install Windows Updater fails to install it. first it was KB 4566782, it gets to 100% downloaded, installs all the way to 100% in a pretty average speed, then tells me that it failed to install. the other one it is having trouble with is KB 4571744. Now, I have the same version of Windows 10 on both my desktop AND laptop and my laptop has installed all the updates, including previews, flawlessly yet my desktop can't install those 2 updates mentioned above. I have tried the troubleshooter (claims nothing is wrong), restarted the updater services, restarted the whole pc, downloaded directly from the windows catalog and nothing works. All I get is error code 0x800f081f to which I have tried googling and tried the other methods to install above. The only thing I can think of is running the windows repair tool but I don't want to spend that time being bored and trying to fix my computer when there might be something else to try.

Solution
Well, thanks for the help... I fixed this issue by, i guess, refreshing Windows with my install USB. So if anyone has this problem do these really easy steps (read all before attempting this fix):

1. Insert your Windows 10 Install Media
  2. Open the Media and run the Windows 10 "Setup.exe"
  3. Make sure to select "keep files and apps" when prompted
  4. Sit back and let Windows do a proper repair

Don't worry about anything happening with Windows afterwords. I was worried, myself, that I would get a fresh install of Windows and have to setup my start menu, desktop icons, etc. but all the refresh did, for me at least, was fix any corrupted files that couldn't have been fixed otherwise and install all current updates. I was at build...

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
okay i clicked that and downloaded the first option for the may 2020 update but when I ran the program all it said was that windows was up to date.

now I can't get the newest update to install. KB 4571756, still giving me the same error code. But I had the latest windows defender update install without a problem.

Googling I read that this is an error with the .NET 3.5 framework incompatibility but I can't fix the problem and don't really know where to begin.

I went into the windows programs and features and have both enabled and disabled .NET 3.5 in between restarts, one "fix" says to go into the group policy and find a policy under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System but when I open my policy editor there is no "Administrative Template" for me to look through. I have downloaded and installed the admin template straight from Microsoft and installed it twice and it still doesn't show up.

I'm getting really frustrated with this and I don't even know what information I should be giving, if I'm not already giving it, so if someone is going to be patient I will provide whatever other information I can to try and fix this.

Last thing, I'm not sure if these 3 updates are all related to .NET but they are all cumulative updates, as opposed to the defender update that I mentioned earlier, so if they aren't all related with.NET maybe they are by being cumulative? someone please help me :(

jtoya85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
Well, thanks for the help... I fixed this issue by, i guess, refreshing Windows with my install USB. So if anyone has this problem do these really easy steps (read all before attempting this fix):

1. Insert your Windows 10 Install Media
  2. Open the Media and run the Windows 10 "Setup.exe"
  3. Make sure to select "keep files and apps" when prompted
  4. Sit back and let Windows do a proper repair

Don't worry about anything happening with Windows afterwords. I was worried, myself, that I would get a fresh install of Windows and have to setup my start menu, desktop icons, etc. but all the refresh did, for me at least, was fix any corrupted files that couldn't have been fixed otherwise and install all current updates. I was at build 2004 19041.388 and after I was at 19041.508. there were a few updates needed, windows defender and software removal tools, but after that I had no more updates.

Hope this helps anyone else that has this issue in the future and keeps scratching their head in frustration.

Solution