[SOLVED] Windows 10 install getting “BUG CODE NDIS DRIVER”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Doe

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
Building a new system with components below and after windows gets and installs files and restarts, when it gets to devices it goes to BSOD with “BUG CODE NDIS DRIVER” as the error and the install fails and is unrecoverable.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

CPU = Intel Core i9-9820X Skylake 3.3 GHz LGA 2066
Motherboard = ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe II LGA 2066 ATX Intel
Memory = CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300)
GPU = NVIDIA Titan RTX Dual-Fan 24GB GDDR6 PCIe Video Card
PSU = Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
OS Drive = Corsair Force Series 2TB SSD 3D TLC NAND MP600 M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Internal Solid State
OS = Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Last edited:
Solution
So I've found the problem. It's a known issue with Asus Drivers and Windows (SO WHY HASN'T IT BEEN FIXED????!?!!?).

If anyone is having this problem, you must go into your bios, under "Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration / Wi0Ft 802.11ac Controller" and DISABLE IT. Then install / update Windows as normal.

After installing / updating you can update drivers and then re-enable the wifi in the bios.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-install/7f9331ea-a17e-40dc-be14-dca300356f13

Joe Doe

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
Try unplugging PC from internet so disconnect ethernet and or wifi while installing

NDIS is the Networking drivers. If its unplugged it can't update drivers until after the installation and you should get past the error.

I would go look on here for latest Network drivers afterwards - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-DELUXE-II/HelpDesk_Download/

Thanks much Colif, but it isn't connected to any ethernet, and I don't have the antenna coax screwed in that would enable wifi (and there's no option to disable it in the load stage)?

Fkort96

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Thanks much Colif, but it isn't connected to any ethernet, and I don't have the antenna coax screwed in that would enable wifi (and there's no option to disable it in the load stage)?
There's none to disable this in the install I am afraid. The windows installer wants to connect to Windows Update to install the drivers for the system. If it cannot, it gives a bsod or an error.

My advice would be:

Temporarily draw a ethernet cable to your box. Let Windows Install finish with Internet connection. After the install is completed, immediately make a backup of some sort of the clean install, may you need to ever reinstall the system again, so that you never have to experience this problem again.

Joe Doe

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
Thanks much for the advice Fkort96. Unfortunately I tried a new M.2, OS direct from current MS install tool on USB Thumb Drive, with ethernet plugged in, and I’m getting the exact same error. I can’t make any backup because I can’t get to the second install stage; it loads the files from the install media, restarts to get ready, and gives me the BSOD.

So frustrated…

Joe Doe

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
So I've found the problem. It's a known issue with Asus Drivers and Windows (SO WHY HASN'T IT BEEN FIXED????!?!!?).

If anyone is having this problem, you must go into your bios, under "Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration / Wi0Ft 802.11ac Controller" and DISABLE IT. Then install / update Windows as normal.

After installing / updating you can update drivers and then re-enable the wifi in the bios.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-install/7f9331ea-a17e-40dc-be14-dca300356f13

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.