Windows 10 install

Eli Stout

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
I currently have windows 8.1 and I reserved windows 10 a while ago. I noticed it released yesterday but I didn't get a copy yet so I went to Microsoft.com and I downloaded the ISO for windows 10. I Haven't started the download because I don't know if I should wait.

Solution
If you signed up for the whole upgrade program then Microsoft has a key waiting for you, you just have to install Windows 10 to get it. If your 8 key is OEM from Microsoft then that key may work during install, but it ultimately doesn't matter - Microsoft will give you a key. I will try skipping all of the activation key prompts later to see for myself, but I'm seeing stories everywhere about not needing a key to install or activate Windows 10 on a clean install.

Eli Stout

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
It says "Notify me when ready" but people were saying you can just get it from microsoft.com but when I started downloading, It never asked for a key so I stopped and wanted to just make sure

ESPclipse

Reputable
May 27, 2014
You won't need the key to get the iso or even begin the install process. For most people, when installing Windows 10, you can just skip the key entry windows until the install is complete and you have access to the Windows 10 shell. From there, open the settings pane and look for some tab about "Activation". If you have properly reserved the upgrade for yourself, then the activation should be seamless, though I have yet to try it myself. You may need to log in to a Microsoft account to activate.

TL;DR - You don't need a key to get the ISO

Eli Stout

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
I just don't wan't to install it and have an unactivated version. I have a windows 8.1 key by the way if that works.I don't know if I should go forward with it or not, Because if Im guaranteed a copy anyways.

ESPclipse

Reputable
May 27, 2014
If you signed up for the whole upgrade program then Microsoft has a key waiting for you, you just have to install Windows 10 to get it. If your 8 key is OEM from Microsoft then that key may work during install, but it ultimately doesn't matter - Microsoft will give you a key. I will try skipping all of the activation key prompts later to see for myself, but I'm seeing stories everywhere about not needing a key to install or activate Windows 10 on a clean install.

Solution

ESPclipse

Reputable
May 27, 2014
If you are wanting to do a clean install, then I guess that there is no way to preemptively know FOR SURE that the install will work. If you are afraid of the install not working out for you and afraid that you will lose everything, then the best security would be to backup your current system partition(s) to another drive, if you have a spare drive available. If not, then next best route is the whole "upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1" route, in which the newly installed copy of Windows 10 will hold your old OS in limbo until you feel comfortable enough to delete the old OS files, else you can detract from the upgrade and things will be as they were. You can force-start the upgrade process (instead of waiting) with Microsoft's Windows 10 media installer. Unfortunately, this method has not been terribly successful for many people and has its own share problems to remedy.