windows 10 installation media usb problem

alexcharlie

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
I installed the mediacreationtool to my usb which im going to use to fix my other computer which doesnt turn on properly(the screen stays black and while the computer turns on) This all happend after an update. Now when i stick the usb with windows10 on it and turn my computer on nothing happens. Should i try using a disc instead of usb?

USAFRet

Titan

The MediaCreation tool is used to make your Win 10 install media, DVD or USB.
You do not boot from that.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes. You need to create the actual boot media.
That MediaCreation tool is not that. It is used to create.

USAFRet

Titan

You need:
1. Another PC
2. A 4GB or larger USB stick, or a DVD
3. The MediaCreation tool.

Run that tool. It tells you what to do.

alexcharlie

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
That is exactly what i did. Ive got the pc which is broken and another laptop which im using now. ive installed the media stuff onto the usb. Then took the usb out of the laptop then put it into my broken pc and then turned the broken pc ON and nothing seems to happen.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Please describe the exact steps you did with the USB.
2. What is 'broken' with the PC? How is a new OS install supposed to fix broken hardware?

alexcharlie

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
1. So i put this usb which is 7gb into my laptop then i ran the mediacreationtool.exe and then picked choose media and chose USB. It went from 0% progess to 100% then it finished(Installation). I took the usb out of my laptop then sticked it into my pc( which doesnt boot properly after an update) and i was hoping for the advanced boot options thing to appear but the pc stays same
2. One day i decided to shut down my pc which i was using (before the update) and it said "Update and shut down" i clicked that then the next day i turn on the pc and it turns on but the screen remains black. Yes my screen has power there is a light which blinks on it.

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016
When you boot up the broken PC, keep clicking F2 rapidly. If that doesn't work try rebooting again and keep clicking F12 rapidly. If you can get into the BIOS, you need to navigate your way into the boot options. Change the boot sequence, so the PC is set to initially boot from a USB stick. NOT THE HARD DISK.

alexcharlie

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
no the screen doesnt get any connection its connected via displayport. Before i used to get the gigabyte logo and then it automaticly sent me to the advanced boot options but now i dont get anything.

alexcharlie

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

i will try that brb

USAFRet

Titan

Generally, with a laptop, there is a button to designate where the video output goes.

Laptop Screen, external monitor, or both.
Possibly yours is set to external only? Accidentally pressed the wrong button?

alexcharlie

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
The monitor says no video input.
I tried pressing f12 and f2 rapidly after booting and nothing happens . The manual even says f12 for boot menu but by rapidly tapping f12 doesnt do anything.
( theres no problem with the laptop its the pc)

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I am thinking motherboard died Ram issue can be lots of things,
For sure though if you aren't getting the Logo from the manufacturer then there is a hardware issue.
Because the BIOS/UEFI stops before reaching that point.

alexcharlie

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

But it literally happens RIGHT after an update. You think the update could have damaged my hardware or u got an idea how to fix this?