Question Windows 10 installation stuck at manufacturer splash screen on new SATA SSD

HarrisonHo1209

Commendable
Apr 3, 2019
My friend's got an ASUS x456u laptop and his hard disk just died. So instead of buying a new laptop, I recommended buying a new SATA SSD. So the crucial mx500 500GB SSD arrives, we open up the laptop and installed the SATA SSD. We boot into the bios and see the SSD on the boot menu. It should be noted that the laptop only allows 1 SATA device to be installed, so the MX500 is the only drive that's connected to the laptop.

5pWnSBI.jpg

Figure 1: MX500 shows up in BIOS

Then we plug in the windows 10 installer USB, which he has previously used to install windows 10 on his desktop effectively ruling out the possibility of a faulty install media. And he is greeted with the windows 10 install screen, so far so good. After selecting the MX500, he waits for the installation to finish.
YVV0Qxh.jpg

Figure 2: Windows 10 Installation goes on smoothly

b1ukbp5.jpg

Figure 3: Windows installation status is complete and needs to restart

As the installation is finished, windows says that a restart is needed. As the laptop restarts itself, the Asus splash screen appears and the white dots rotate as usual. However, after 3 complete revolutions, the splash screen becomes stuck, the dots stop moving. As seen in the figure below.

tLC3b2I.jpg

Figure 4: The screen is stuck at the Asus splash screen for 1 hour

After knowing that the laptop has been stuck on the splash screen, I was concerned, since the MX500 SATA SSD was new and the installation progress should have long been finished. I told him to power down the laptop and check if there were any loose cables, turns out the laptop has a singular SATA connector and there weren't any cables. I asked my friend to power down the laptop and check if the SATA connectors were damaged, there weren't.

Afterwards, we tried to boot the laptop and tried to boot into windows. As expected, the windows recovery screen appeared.

91u0YTa.jpg

Figure 4: Laptop booted into Windows Recovery screen

Then I asked him to get into the ASUS bios once again and check some settings, like if CSM mode was turned on, and if AHCI is enabled on SATA mode, turns out both of the worries were put to rest as seen in the following images.

e3e2dj1.jpg

Figure 5: CSM support shown as disabled

mSroJHp.jpg

Figure 6: AHCI enabled on SATA mode

Other than that, the motherboard also recognized windows boot manager on the MX500 SSD. And we tried to enter the windows recovery screen and select start-up repair, however the whole repair tool was locked behind a "defultuser0" and was locked by an unknown password. I asked my friend to do another reinstall of windows, this time with a different USB port, but the same happened again. Can anyone let us know what we did wrong here and will installing another OS like Obuntu be better alternative than windows.

Last edited:
My friend's got an ASUS x456u laptop and his hard disk just died. So instead of buying a new laptop, I recommended buying a new SATA SSD. So the crucial mx500 500GB SSD arrives, we open up the laptop and installed the SATA SSD. We boot into the bios and see the SSD on the boot menu. It should be noted that the laptop only allows 1 SATA device to be installed, so the MX500 is the only drive that's connected to the laptop.

5pWnSBI.jpg

Figure 1: MX500 shows up in BIOS

Then we plug in the windows 10 installer USB, which he has previously used to install windows 10 on his desktop effectively ruling out the possibility of a faulty install media. And he is greeted with the windows 10 install screen, so far so good. After selecting the MX500, he waits for the installation to finish.
YVV0Qxh.jpg

Figure 2: Windows 10 Installation goes on smoothly

b1ukbp5.jpg

Figure 3: Windows installation status is complete and needs to restart

As the installation is finished, windows says that a restart is needed. As the laptop restarts itself, the Asus splash screen appears and the white dots rotate as usual. However, after 3 complete revolutions, the splash screen becomes stuck, the dots stop moving. As seen in the figure below.

tLC3b2I.jpg

Figure 4: The screen is stuck at the Asus splash screen for 1 hour

After knowing that the laptop has been stuck on the splash screen, I was concerned, since the MX500 SATA SSD was new and the installation progress should have long been finished. I told him to power down the laptop and check if there were any loose cables, turns out the laptop has a singular SATA connector and there weren't any cables. I asked my friend to power down the laptop and check if the SATA connectors were damaged, there weren't.

Afterwards, we tried to boot the laptop and tried to boot into windows. As expected, the windows recovery screen appeared.

91u0YTa.jpg

Figure 4: Laptop booted into Windows Recovery screen

Then I asked him to get into the ASUS bios once again and check some settings, like if CSM mode was turned on, and if AHCI is enabled on SATA mode, turns out both of the worries were put to rest as seen in the following images.

e3e2dj1.jpg

Figure 5: CSM support shown as disabled

mSroJHp.jpg

Figure 6: AHCI enabled on SATA mode

Other than that, the motherboard also recognized windows boot manager on the MX500 SSD. And we tried to enter the window recovery screen and select start-up repair, however the whole repair tool was locked behind a "defultuser0" and was locked by an unknown password. I asked my friend to do another reinstall of windows, this time with a different USB port, but the same happened again. Can anyone let us know what we did wrong here and will installing another OS like Obuntu be better alternative than windows.
Use the media creation tool and create a new flash stick....test.