Windows 10 intermittent boot problems

Franicelcha

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Hi

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 Home on my daughter's PC, using a brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSD . Motherboard is a Gigabyte F2A55M-HD2 that supports only SATA 2 (NOT SATA 3--It has 4 SATA 2 PORTS). I only realized this after the SSD was purchased and installed.

I did not know that AHCI mode had to be turned on (was IDE by default) in the UEFI before the installation of Windows 10 takes place. When I realized that AHCI was not activated , I went back to the UEFI and turned AHCI on. Upon rebooting, I experienced booting problems. Now, the PC sometimes boots and sometime refuses to boot. It is a mess. When it boots, everything works normally. But, I never know if it will boot or not. And I do not want to give it back to my daughter until I am 100 % certain that it will boot normally, all the time. I am a conscientious person and I believe in "If a job deserves to be done, it deserves to be done right"

I did a lot of research on this on the web and found out this fix which calls for changing 3 or 4 parameters in the registry. It is, in theory, supposed to fix the problem (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22631-enable-ahci-windows-8-windows-10-after-installation.html). However, I fear that this may not do as good of a job as reinstalling Windows--do a clean install again, load all programs and configure them etc...You know the drill. Takes a while.

Would you resort to this method or would you reinstall from scratch again ?

If you'd choose a reinstall, should it be done after activating AHCI or should the settings be left to IDE given that the SSD cannot work to its full potential because of the SATA 2 ports limiting factor ?

All I am trying to do is fix that intermittent, annoying boot problem. If a clean reinstall is the better way to go, I'll go that way no matter how much work is involved.

Thank you

Solution
what I suggest is activating AHCI with the ssd in re-installing windows 10 from usb and hopefully then the system should work properly.

Franicelcha

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for trying to help but I am not comfortable (experienced) enough to go ahead and use this procedure. Too many people have experienced problems, as can be seen in the posts below the suggested procedure.

Thank you anyway