[SOLVED] Windows 10 isn't responsive to mouse input.

Feb 7, 2020
Hello,

Windows 10 is not responding to mouse input whether it's clicks or just hovering over task-bar or different shortcuts.
I applied Win updates, Dell Updates, tried a different mouse. Problem still occurs.
The weird thing is that the OS is responsive to keyboard input.

Any ideas?

Windows 10 1909 (18363.592)
Dell Latitude 7300

Solution
You can't dismiss a hardware cause given that a defective touchpad can cause issues with an external mouse. if you're committed to it being a software issue then download the touchpad drivers, remove the touchpad drivers and touch pad from DM, reboot and install the downloaded driver pack. Then do the same for the mouse.

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
is the mouse showing in Device Manager? In case you don't know, quickest route without a mouse: Win key + X, press M (for Device Manager), tab once to select the top item in the list then Down arrow to "Mouse and other pointing devices", Right arrow to expand the menu.

Feb 7, 2020
is the mouse showing in Device Manager? In case you don't know, quickest route without a mouse: Win key + X, press M (for Device Manager), tab once to select the top item in the list then Down arrow to "Mouse and other pointing devices", Right arrow to expand the menu.

Yes it is. The mouse moves and all but sometime's it wouldn't detect the clicks nor the fact that I'm hovering over shortcuts.

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
Ahhh, so you see the pointer, sorry I didn't understand that.

You've tried removing the device and drivers from Device Manager, and reinstalling?

Does the touchpad work correctly?

What's the mouse make/model? if USB have you tried the cord or receiver in a different USB port?

Lots to rule out first, but a defective touchpad can cause issues with an external mouse.

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
You can't dismiss a hardware cause given that a defective touchpad can cause issues with an external mouse. if you're committed to it being a software issue then download the touchpad drivers, remove the touchpad drivers and touch pad from DM, reboot and install the downloaded driver pack. Then do the same for the mouse.

Solution