Windows 10 JPG Thumbnails Not showing

Ben-B

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I'm not sure what changed recently, but when viewing a folder of images in Windows 10, with Thumbnail view (medium or larger), a lot of them are showing blank white space where the thumbail should be, others show the thumbnail fine. The only advice I can find online is for enabling thumbnails if they've been disabled, I've seen nothing about Windows showing some, and missing others. I went and checked older folders, in case it was just happening to recent images, but it does it all folders. Some have thumbnails, some don't.

I'm a photographer, so spend a LOT of my time working going through images. I use various different bits of software for thumbnail viewing, but a lot of the time simply grabbing an image based on its thumbnail in Windows Explorer is important.

boodaddy

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Sounds like your thumbnail cache may have been corrupted. You can clear this very easily, and windows will re-scan/cache the images in the folder when you go into it.

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Right-Click on C: & Click "Properties"
3. Click "Disk Cleanup"
4. Make sure "Thumbnails" is checked. You can also check anything else you wish to clean up. I always check everything.
5. Select "OK" Then click on "Delete Files"
6. Reboot. Please reboot first before going back into the images folder.

Good Luck