Windows 10 just installed and upgraded entirely without my permission.

Deathbybunnies

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
I had an 8.1 installation I didn't want to upgrade yet because I have a whole bunch of games I'm concerned about compatibility issues with. I woke up just now, having left my computer on, to find that my computer is over halfway through "upgrading Windows". I didn't want this; I have coursework that needs doing right now. Is there any way to cancel this once it's started?

CreepyCannibal

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

They changed the Windows 10 update from "Optional" to "Recommended" which means that now there's a one hour timer displayed, and if you do nothing it will automatically update. So if you're away from your computer (like I was), you'll come back to find that you now run Windows 10. You'll have to use the previous solution to go back, and then watch it like a hawk, because it will check for updates once you're back in 8.1 and then start the timer all over again. Once the timer's there, click on reschedule, and then find the option that says to cancel the update. Then make sure to cancel the Windows 10 download that already started automatically.
Here's a recent news article about it: http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/640295/Windows-10-Update-Recommended-Microsoft-Automatically

jennibean

Commendable
May 16, 2016
I woke up to find windows had installed windows 10 on to my desk top without my permission. It said I could accept or decline. I had a look around thinking I could just system restore but it was so difficult to find anything in the system I just decided to decline. A warning notice came up saying if I did decline I would lose all of my data and my computer would revert to how it was when I bought it. That is being held to ransom as far as Im concerned and I was not going to accept something that was pushed on to me without my permission. I declined and true to their word I lost all of my data. I cried quite a bit uncontrollably got my shit together and started again. Microsoft needs to held accountable for loss of saved data unnecessary mb usage and emotional turmoil. How is it possible for them to be able to do this kind of covert action?

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

The best option for that seems to be allowing it to upgrade, and then reverting back to Windows 7 / 8. The link I provided says if you revert back after upgrading, you'll keep your data.

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Same happened to me! I Always rejected it.
And then it just went and did it.
Actually I am very glad. But as Sony no longer sell laptops. They do not support the future Win 10 drivers but in their testing they found no issues, could have been a disaster! :-/
But was a complete sucess.