Question Windows 10 keeps freezing with new build

kbparker

Prominent
May 11, 2018
So I completed a new build in January, installed fresh Windows 10. All brand new components, including hard drive, with the exception of my GPU.

Ryzen 3600X (with stock cooler)
ASROCK x570 Steel Legend WiFi AX
Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3600MHz
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB
Sapphire Nitro + RX 580 8GB

Anyways, the computer keeps freezing, sometimes in games (although I don't play many, and they are not demanding), sometimes working on email or Word/Excel. I use this mainly for work and don't really tax it at all. I did notice today, when it froze 3 times and needed hard restart that the temperature seemed fairly high, and when the computer rebooted one of the Fans got really loud for about 5 seconds. I assume the CPU fan. Didn't get to check CPU Temp as it drops soo fast after reboot and I am not tracking temperature or anything. However, the rear exhaust fan is putting out some pretty warm air and even the tempered glass side panel is pretty warm. Obviously, I am curious if there is some sort of cooling issue, but I am taxing it so little, I cannot imagine it is the issue unless there is some reason that it is heating up more than it should.

Any known issues with certain version of Windows 10, X570 chipset, Ryzen 3600X, or maybe RX 580 drivers? I am at a loss, the system is way too new to be worried about many software issues, though it is always possible. Let me know if you need any more info.

kbparker

Prominent
May 11, 2018
CPU and GPU temp?
I can check temperatures when I get home tonight, but I know idle is around 40-55 for CPU and low 80s under stress. GPU is much better mid 30s idle and not sure on stress. I really think the GPU tends to heat the case up pretty quickly though. The CPU spikes a lot, which seems to be normal from what I read online. I see a lot of questions regarding high temps on Ryzen 3600X...

kbparker

Prominent
May 11, 2018
It certainly sounds like your PC is overheating. I would double check the CPU/cooler install, including removing the old thermal paste and reapply. Also make sure your case fan(s) are working.
Case fans are definitely working, although I only have 2 front intake and 1 rear exhaust. Plan to add more, but haven't yet.

I might check the CPU Cooler install when I have some time to do so, but I feel it is unlikely that I installed it incorrectly. I have about 20 years experience with builds, but it has been a while since my last, so it is possible.

kbparker

Prominent
May 11, 2018
CPU and GPU temp?

So after about 15 minutes of stress, the CPU is running pretty stable at about 87 and the GPU is at about 77. Still seems like they might be climbing, but very slowly if they are. I don't know if I am stressing it enough, I am just using FurMark GPU Burn-In Test and CPU Stress test. Is there something else I should be using that would maybe lead to higher temps? Like Prime95 or something? Wasn't sure if one software over another makes much of a difference in temperature considering that my GPU and CPU are both maxed and starting to throttle themselves after 10 minutes of FurMark anyways.