Windows 10 killed my SSD (HELP!)

Cyndro

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
I need help restoring the functionality of my SSD. It's a Sandisk 480GB Ultra II. I was running on Windows 10 and I got a random BSOD. Afterwards, my laptop would not boot past the logo screen unless I took the SSD out, which would take me to the "No boot drive" screen. The SSD has been messed up in some way.

I took the drive out and plugged it into my secondary Laptop using a USB-to-SATA adapter. The drive would not appear in Windows explorer, so I went into drive management and saw it as "Disk 1 Unknown". It gives no information on the size or free space of the drive, and I can't initialize it. If I try to initialize it with 'GPT' it says "The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum required for GPT disks". If I try to initialize it with 'MBR', it says "The device is not ready". In Device Manager, I can see the drive as "ASMT 2115 USB Device" but that is it.

I have tried the programs MiniTool Partition Wizard and MiniTool Power Data recovery and neither of them could do anything with the drive. They see it as "ASMT 2115 USB Device" with no partitions and 0b of capacity. Here are some images of the drive in Device Manager, Disk Management, and MiniTool:
https://s9.postimg.org/in0iz3ii7/image.png
https://s30.postimg.org/j6o4q7kld/image.png
https://s18.postimg.org/vv7l4svs9/image.png

I am concerned with both recovering the data on the drive as well as restoring the functionality of the SSD itself. I have no idea how a BSOD could cause this, but as of right now the SSD seems to be bricked. Any idea what to do?

Solution

I would seriously consider getting specific. I would attempt to impress upon them the abundance of evidence regarding this model. Let them know that you have seen the previous reviews(Irounsounds) but you do like their brand so you went with the model. I recently(about 3 months ago) purchased a pair of boots. The reviews were mostly positive but there were a fair number of bad reviews. Suffice to say I received a refund. Let them know you don't feel comfortable using the...

Cyndro

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
I bought it around July 2016. The model listed on the back sticker is "SDSSDHII-480G" without the 'G25' so I think I'm good. I don't want to think the SSD is dead just yet; I think the BSOD somehow caused this (and me turning off the Laptop, because the % wouldn't move along and it only said it was sending an 'error report' rather than repairing anything). Anyhow I want to restore the drive and its data if I can. It was working perfectly fine before this and Sandisk's 'SSD Dashboard' listed its health as 100% if that's anything to go off.

Hello... Might be best to call them for methods... cause as far as I know you do not have any physical data on it B / a Physical HD will always have the magnetic tracks/data still on it... and physically restorable. BUT the SSD is different in that sense and it has a battery on it for Power down backup? It's a NEW technology and there are different types of chips on them... and what the memory chips are capable of holding/retaining on it is still a mystery to me. GL B /

Like I said with mine... we may have done bad in the Silicon lottery on this purchase? ... something through quality control slipped by on some of these. B /

Jack_242

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
Making an un-allocated partition of 10-15% on an drive will increase its life. This may not help you with your current SSD but the next one you get will benefit from it.

It's less than a year old. The warranty should still be in place. My GFX card died at less than 6 months old. I have a GFX card that is over a decade old. Still works. I have hard drives older than that that still work. Age and functionality do not necessarily walk hand in hand.

Jack_242

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

This is true but making sure proper maintenance is kept with the product ensures a longer life.
I am using a few parts that are 5+ years old and they still work like they did when they came out of the box.

Cyndro

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Fairly sure the Ultra II had over-provisioning built in. Anyhow, is this normal behavior for a 'failed' SSD? It still shows up in Device Manager and Disk Management, even if I can't do anything with it.

Jack_242

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

All SSDs have over-provisions built into them.

When I purchased my Samsung SSD the installer always recommended to make an additional partition of 10-15% to extend the life of the drive.

Cyndro

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Upon looking at the box rather than just the back of the SSD, it turns out I do have the 'G25' model Ironsounds talked about. Although I think they're all actually 'G25' because that's just how they name their models. But I suppose I got the bad batch of that said model. Well I am disappointed. If my drive really is dead, I suppose my only option is to RMA and get another one of those sub-standard models.

I would seriously consider getting specific. I would attempt to impress upon them the abundance of evidence regarding this model. Let them know that you have seen the previous reviews(Irounsounds) but you do like their brand so you went with the model. I recently(about 3 months ago) purchased a pair of boots. The reviews were mostly positive but there were a fair number of bad reviews. Suffice to say I received a refund. Let them know you don't feel comfortable using the same SSD with the same failure rate. All I'm saying is that I have, on more than a few occasions, reworked a purchase. Staying with regular customer service isn't recommended.

Solution
check to see if you needed a firmware update:
https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6053/~/solid-state-drive-support-information

plug the drive into a sata connector rather than your USB to sata adapter
(where you get the interface device listed for the name of the device)

ssd drives can get wedged up if the drive fills or it has firmware bugs, connect it to power without the data cable connected for a few hours. it can give the drive firmware time to make repairs.

Hello... Yes... Win OS's have "security" to them... and thru the MB or USB connection you need to verify that you have given the DRIVE permission to be read or used thru that connection as administrator of the OS... hopefully it is just that reason alone... if you need a procedure let me know. B )

Cyndro

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Nah I tried connecting it to a SATA port and it's the same result. No change from enabling/disabling read-only with diskpart either. It's 0bytes big and 'The device is not ready' when trying to do anything with it, even when trying to install another Windows 10 on it.

I'm currently in the process of requesting RMA approval. I did tell them however that I have lost confidence in the drive, due to it failing me, and many others on Newegg and Amazon citing similar high failure rates. Therefore I requested either a refund or a different equivalent product. Which is basically in-line with their Warranty policy.

Cyndro

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Well, I negotiated a Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB as my replacement. Thanks to aquielisunari for the idea. It's not a restoration of my lost data (which i should've backed up, i know), but it's certainly a very reasonable courtesy on their part, considering it's their top-end model. I hope this one will serve me better. Does anyone here have anything to say about this model?

Good to hear :D The only things I've heard is what any other Google search would reveal such as the Anandtech and tweaktown reviews and the very positive user reviews from Amazon and other retailers.

GNUX2408

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I had a similar even
My event
EVO 960 could not be seen in the diskmanager or via the diskpart. They could be seen in the Device Manager and Bios
I use this utilityhttp:// to kill the EVO 960
(erase everything)
try it might help
all the best

Cyndro is not trying to erase his disk. If you are only here to troll you won't last that long.