Question Windows 10 Laggy on a Relatively New Computer

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Hey everyone,
I have a question regarding my Win 10 computer. I custom built it about 3.5 years ago and it has been pretty laggy the last year or so. The computer is generally slower than it used to be and I hear my mechanical hard drive caching/working a lot. I have two SSDs, a mechanical drive, and an M2 drive. I have a lot of software on the computer I don't want to or really have the time to reinstall so I was wondering if there is a way to troubleshoot or figure out what is going on. I have CC cleaner and have run that and also ESET and nothing comes up. I will say I have chrome open all the time with a lot of tabs and I'm sure that's hogging memory....but when I go to task manager>Processes, chrome is using 4gb of memory. my page file is set pretty high by default I think.

I'm not sure if it's a memory issue? I have 16GB of RAM, the system is water cooled.

On a separate note I have google drive installed for my business cloud, and there is a phantom drive designated as Z: and it has a lot of weird file names in it but I can tell some of them are just like the folder in my google drive. I can also see it's the same size drive as google drive and has the same amount of spaced used up so far.

Looking for some guidance...with kids and work to be honest I've lost some touch with troubleshooting windows the past several years.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?
What motherboard? Have you updated drivers recently?

can't seem to find anything about Drive Z on Google drive
maybe this - https://support.google.com/drive/thread/121013958?hl=en&msgid=125490210

Win 10 until this year would get a version update every 6 months which could help reduce the amount of clutter. There should be a version update in the next 2 weeks that will help that.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I have a question regarding my Win 10 computer. I custom built it about 3.5 years ago and it has been pretty laggy the last year or so. The computer is generally slower than it used to be and I hear my mechanical hard drive caching/working a lot. I have two SSDs, a mechanical drive, and an M2 drive. I have a lot of software on the computer I don't want to or really have the time to reinstall so I was wondering if there is a way to troubleshoot or figure out what is going on. I have CC cleaner and have run that and also ESET and nothing comes up. I will say I have chrome open all the time with a lot of tabs and I'm sure that's hogging memory....but when I go to task manager>Processes, chrome is using 4gb of memory. my page file is set pretty high by default I think.

I'm not sure if it's a memory issue? I have 16GB of RAM, the system is water cooled.

On a separate note I have google drive installed for my business cloud, and there is a phantom drive designated as Z: and it has a lot of weird file names in it but I can tell some of them are just like the folder in my google drive. I can also see it's the same size drive as google drive and has the same amount of spaced used up so far.

Looking for some guidance...with kids and work to be honest I've lost some touch with troubleshooting windows the past several years.
Download this.

UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
As others have said, we need to know your full pc specs, notably your CPU and GPU as they have a large impact on your performance.

If the PC has started getting slower over time then maybe it could mean that you registry is clogging up, in which case a clean install of windows will be able to determine whether this is the issue.

Additionally, if you have installed any 'tune-up; softwares, then this could also have contributed to the PC getting slower.

The way best with computers is to only install the absolute software that you need, if you start installing tons of software then your PC will inevtiably get slower over time.

Also, be sure to check your startup apps in Task Manager and remove any entries that you don't need.

I hear my mechanical hard drive caching/working a lot.

I'm assuming your operating system is installed on your hard drive and not one of your SSD'S?

If your OS is installed on the HDD, this is probably expected, in which case performing a clean install onto one your SSD's would be most appropriate.

Jan 1, 2023
First, check temps to see if the AIO failed somewhere, high temps very commonly cause slow downs and stuttering. Second, move the OS to the SSD if it isn't already. Third, get rid of CCleaner, it has cause me and many others nothing but problems and it slowed down my older laptop a lot. Use something like Malwarebytes if you have to. With the information we have, this is about all I can think of.