Windows 10 laptop does not see Windows 10 desktop on network

Diplocaulus

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
I just did two things:

1) Set up a brand new Windows 10 desktop PC
2) Updated my Lenovo laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

PROBLEM: My laptop cannot see my new Windows 10 desktop as a computer. It can see it as a "Media Device," but no matter what I've tried it can't see my desktop as a computer. As a result I cannot map shared network folders from my laptop to my desktop.

My new Windows 10 desktop PC does appear as a computer on a Windows Vista PC connected to the same network and workgroup via an Ethernet cable, and I can set up shared folders from the Vista PC, but again my Lenovo laptop via wireless cannot.

My laptop does see the Windows Vista PC and itself as computers, but no Windows 10 desktop is visible. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Solution
Found this answer that worked for me . . . suddenly all network items (computers and NAS drives) showed up in explorer:
http://appuals.com/best-fix-steps-fix-error-0x80070035/
Method 5: Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
1. Hold Windows Key and Press R. Type ncpa.cpl and Click OK
2. Right-Click on the connection and choose Properties.
3. Click “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Version 4” in the list.
4. Click Properties, and then click Advanced.
5. On the Advanced TCP/IP settings windows, go to “WINS” tab.
6. Under NetBIOS setting, click “Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP”, and then click OK.

Hope this helps.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have network discovery and file and printer sharing turned on in the win 10 laptop? Open network and sharing center, select change advanced sharing settings on the left, then turn on network discovery as well as file and printer sharing.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Are they using the same router? And on the same subnet if they are? The computers need to be on the same subnet to communicate over the network.

Diplocaulus

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014

Thanks again for the suggestion. Yes, both PCs are using the same subnet address. Again here's the situation:

My Windows 10 desktop can see: a) my Windows 10 laptop connected via wifi; b) a Windows Vista PC connected via Ethernet; c) a Windows 7 PC connected via Ethernet

My Windows 10 laptop can see: b) a Windows Vista PC connected via Ethernet; c) a Windows 7 PC connected via Ethernet

All of the above are connected to the same router.

One possible wildcard here: With a recent Xfinity upgrade our cable modem was swapped for an Xfinity Wireless Gateway, which is basically a stand-alone router and cable modem. We kept our existing Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router which now connects to the internet via the Xfinity Wireless Gateway via Ethernet cable. All peripheral Ethernet and wireless activity is still routed to the Nighthawk AC1900. All of our wireless devices (other laptops, Apple TVs, etc.) work fine with this arrangement; no hiccups. We're basically treating the Xfinity Wireless Gateway as a cable modem. Not sure if this would be contributing to my issue here.

Diplocaulus

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
For reasons I don't understand I turned everything on this morning and--voilà! My Windows 10 laptop could see my Windows 10 desktop. And better than that, I could access my desktop from my laptop. Will wonders cease? All is well with the world. Thank you everyone for your replies.

Jim_43

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Found this answer that worked for me . . . suddenly all network items (computers and NAS drives) showed up in explorer:
http://appuals.com/best-fix-steps-fix-error-0x80070035/
Method 5: Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
1. Hold Windows Key and Press R. Type ncpa.cpl and Click OK
2. Right-Click on the connection and choose Properties.
3. Click “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Version 4” in the list.
4. Click Properties, and then click Advanced.
5. On the Advanced TCP/IP settings windows, go to “WINS” tab.
6. Under NetBIOS setting, click “Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP”, and then click OK.

Hope this helps.

Solution

Sheiberman

Commendable
May 24, 2016

Thanks, after trying all sorts of things your suggestion worked perfectly! I did have to reboot before everything showed up. Thanks again!