Windows 10 May Not Arrive Until Fall 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
MS should make the new OS highly customizable. Release a tool so people can theme and mod it as much as they wish. Buy Classic Shell and let it be the Start Button, then work to improve it further. Also MS should concentrate on Explorer, add tabs, and add dividable file navigation windows similar to Total Commander..

Pushing it back is of little consequence for me seeing as I'm perfectly happy with W8.1. I will say that W10 does look rather promising, but I never understood all the fuss about the "start" button/menu. To each their own, I guess.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
MS should make the new OS highly customizable. Release a tool so people can theme and mod it as much as they wish. Buy Classic Shell and let it be the Start Button, then work to improve it further. Also MS should concentrate on Explorer, add tabs, and add dividable file navigation windows similar to Total Commander..

Why would they buy classic shell when that program is just a rip off of their own start menu?

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I just hope that Windows 10 will get rid of the old now obsolete AHCI interface originally designed for regular disc hard drives that inherently caps out at 600 MB/s making SATA for SSD's soon to be obsolete and instead provide NVMe drivers for M.2 and PCIe SSD's so that the flood gate of SSD performance can see its full potential:

20 to 40 g/ps SSD's
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1843654

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Pushing it back is of little consequence for me seeing as I'm perfectly happy with W8.1. I will say that W10 does look rather promising, but I never understood all the fuss about the "start" button/menu. To each their own, I guess.
Agreed. Microsoft should take the time they need to make Windows 10 as close to perfect as they can.
They should also try to make sure that Windows 10 can still use Windows 8.1 drivers (since a lot of NVidia cards released in the past 10 years just dropped off the support list) with no issues.

CosmicTwister

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Usually they sell a new version and soon thereafter they come out with one that works. I'll wait for Windows 11.5.6.1 version 2345.172374 before I buy. Guess that will put me somewhere near 2017.
Unless Windows 10 allows me to teleport I will not be buying it or even trying to get a hacked version. No sir I'll wait or go Mac

I just hope they improve the handling of larger fonts. Every time I work on a computer with 125% or 150% font size you get cut off windows and buttons that don't look or work right. Low resolution handling needs to be improved so that dialogue boxes don't get cutoff. They also need to improve handling of high dpi "retina" displays. So you get a crisp look not tiny text like Apple does.

DecafTable

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I'm happy to see they are bringing a more desktop oriented experience. I bought into the "tablet" phase and have since pushed it aside. As fun as it was, i'm over it. Windows 8.1 runs great, but I feel as though half of it is a wasted experience with the apps.

Obi-Wan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Did I blink some time last month?
What happened to Windows 9?
What happened to "Microsoft is moving away from numbers for Windows"?

Siddeous

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
There are some things in the Operating System that should be customizable. The use of a live account, apps, and OneDrive should be optional in the installation. People should have the choice in not having those things. I don't use those things and refuse to use any cloud storage service. Removed the applications and uninstalled OneDrive. When creating a new account the apps return, and OneDrive is automatically installed again. Microsoft is going to end up facing Anti-trust allegations again.

Windows 10 is more usable than 8 but It's still not enough to move from 7. If anything will have to get 10 pro to use group policy to block OneDrive.

@Siddeous
overacting much? If you don't use OneDrive then simply do not use it. It is a specific folder on your HDD that is not used by default, so it is pretty easy to avoid using if you do not want to bother uninstalling it. I personally happen to like it quite a bit and use it to sync my documents folder and desktop between all of the machines that I use, and it works great for that. I don't put any legal or personal documents in those locations (even I only trust things to a point), but as a sync tool it is wonderful and invaluable to have if you work across several different machines.

@JoseJones
You do realize that AHCI is a hardware configuration that has absolutely nothing to do with the operating system right? I mean, if you want faster performance (and have the money) there are plenty of m.2 and PCIe based solutions that Windows (or Mac, or Linux) will work just fine with while giving ridiculous amounts of throughput. Or if using high-end SSDs and 500MB/s is not enough for you then you can always tempt fate and go with a RAID0 setup and get 1GB/s across 2 drives (or 2GB/s across 4).

@Obi-Wan
No, you didn't miss anything. MS does not know how to count.
The 'real' reason is that a lot of newer programs scan for a Windows OS revision of 9x to prevent installation on win 95/98 machines, so they are avoiding that fiasco by moving to Windows 10 directly. They were also able to show with the win8 to win8.1 update that they no longer need a traditional update cycle in order to add features and functionality to the OS. With the move to Windows 10, I suspect (along with many others) that we will be on some version of win10 for a very long time (10+ years). Every year or two there will be a major service pack (feature pack?) to modernize the OS and add capabilities (similar to the Apple OSX model). The issue is that the core OS has not really changed since Vista, and it is much more of a pain to deal with the differences in APIs and security models between Windows revisions for the general public rather than having a single version for everyone that everybody gets upgraded to upon release via Windows Updates. This will keep everyone in the same app store, with the same hardware driver model, and the same capabilities across the board.
This also applies to other Windows products as well. Traditional Windows, Windows RT/ARM, and Windows Phone will finally all have the same core OS with changes to the UI to meet platform needs. The phone, tablet, and desktop OS will all have access to the same store apps, and the store will finally include some traditionally desktop-only apps as well. If they pull this off then it will be awesome... but if they screw this up then it will mess up everything for every platform.

MS is amazing at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory... I really hope that they don't screw this up.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
"We have actually taken those four OSes across our embedded operating system, which is basically for our Internet of Things and all embedded devices, our mobile operating system for our phones and phablets and tablets, as well as our laptop and desktop operating system and our Xbox operating system and built that single kernel across all of those entities," he said. "And the beautiful thing about that is it allows you to have one platform for drivers and apps."

So that means there are no more excuses for not being able to play XBox games on PCs directly.

I see what you're saying, but why would you want to dumb-down the PC's capability to that of an Xbox?
;)

DecafTable

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

I gave up on console gaming earlier this year. Even with their new hardware it doesn't even scratch the power and customization a PC can offer...

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

I thought classic shell was free? At least the one i have is the free version.

Bevin Chu

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
Not a problem.
Windows 8.1 is crappy "as is."
But fortunately all that's required to make it pretty good is one of the many freeware third party start menu apps.
Install one of those and Windows 8.1 is actually pretty decent. Starts very fast, for example.
I myself use IOBit Start Menu 8
http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

I find it annoying that my PC goes to sleep when doing a long software/OS download and/or update/install by which I have gotten into the habit of - when doing the long download,update or install - going in and changing my power settings prior to the activity so my PC doesn't go to sleep in the middle of the download/update/install.

What I would like to see in Windows 10:

The OS turns off the sleep timer you have set when an OS/software install/update or disk write operation is in progress and turns sleep on afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.