Question Windows 10 Media Player No Longer Playing Certain Files

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
There is no Codec Information Listed Under Properties, so I am stuck. The message I get is that Windows 10 no longer supports the Windows 7 Player and I should buy a new computer with W11 as the solution. I can't be the only person this has happened to, but I couldn't find a relevant thread/question doing a search, so could someone help, please?

D

Deleted member 14196

I would not recommend K-Lite. because I believe they are or have been infected with virus and malware. Use VLC, the windows player is terrible anyway. Years ago I tried to install the Codec pack and my machine got infected so I wouldn’t trust those at all ever

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
Thanks so much for the replies! I have downloaded VLC, but at 72, with cognitive memory issues, I am finding it difficult to know what to do next. I get a message in the middle of the page telling me the "Playlist is empty. Drop a file here or select from the choices on the left. I chose "My Music", but nothing is happening, playlist the same. Shouldn't there be a file transfer from media player to VLC? Is there a "VLC For Idiots" or something somewhere which could "take me by the hand"? My thanks for any continued assistance.

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
Thank you. Of all the solutions I have tried, WinAmp came the closest to what I needed, but even though it lists all of the playlists imported from Media Player AND all the songs on those playlists, I still cannot play them. All that happens when I click on play on any of the lists, is that WinAmp shows me all the album covers in quick succession and tells me playback has ended - no music played.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (media player) I can access the playlists, but of all the songs I put in the playlists only a very few will play, citing the problem with the CODEC files and telling me to go and buy Windows 11, which I can't afford.

I wanted to answer this one more time to let you see that even though I have memory problems, I am being proactive in finding a solution to my problem - not just depending on others for help.

Once again, I am most grateful for your assistance and if anyone else is dealing with this, I'd appreciate a contact so we can compare notes.

Thanks