Windows 10 motherboard needed for AM3+ Micro ATX

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 15, 2018
I have an AMD 8320e but the motherboard I have is not compatible with windows 10. I need a motherboard that is compatible with both windows 10 and this processor for under $200 if possible. No part pickers have operating system as a selectable option. : (

mgallo848

Commendable

I'm sorry but you are 100% wrong. I also built one from my sister using the same exact board and she is running windows 10 ver. 1803

Really, how can you be sure those drivers are enough? I literally have to install more than chipset to make it function well. Yes, you may see it working atm, but it may give you random BSOD in the future or unknown behavior, you just know nothing and keep spreading misinfo.

mgallo848

Commendable

I know these drivers are enough because I have built 4 or 5 myself and I have first hand knowledge/experience of it's use. I'm not giving advice based on what I THINK it will do. I'm giving advice on what I actually KNOW it's doing.

Besides, what have you got to lose? You already have the ASUS board. Install the most recent version of Windows and give it a try. If you think I'm wrong or you have problems you can always order the motherboard later on.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, if the OP already has the mobo (and can't return it) it seems there's nothing to lose by trying it. Just don't activate Windows at first, until you've had to play around with it and make sure everything seems to be working (Windows license is tied to the mobo, so if you activate it with one mobo and have to upgrade you'd probably have to call MS to get the license transferred to the new mobo).

As an anecdotal aside, I've refrained from installing at least a couple of my drivers listed by my mobo manufacturer for years and never seen any ill effect.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't have personal experience with this board, but I think I have to agree with mgallo - Windows 10 generally will come with workable drivers even if the manufacturer has long since stopped updating.

I mean, I had an board from about 10 years ago, nForce chipset, running a Q9550 CPU, on a PC, with an old Radeon HD 4850 video card, did a clean Windows install and it put in appropriate drivers for the video card, motherboard chipset, etc. Never had a problem.

EDIT: after all, Microsoft does NOT want people updating, things not working, and then people tying up time with MS Support on the phone blaming the OS for breaking their computer.

bignastyid

Titan
Win 10 will work with that motherboard. Asus may not offer the drivers, but that doesn't mean it's not compatible. Win 10 will have most to all of the needed drivers for the board built in since it's older hardware. Worst case scenario you have to go to AMD for an updated chipset driver(amd hasn't updated it since 2015 so windows likely already has this or will automatically install it with updates). The realtek lan and audio are also likely native but can be downloaded from realtek if you want the Realtek management programs.

The only problem you may have is the igpu as AMD has no win 10 drivers for the integrated HD3000 series so you will be limited to what the native windows drivers support. If you are using a dedicated GPU this may not be an issue

Vapour, I believe you are the one spreading misinformation due to lack of experience. I suggest you lay off the accusations.

mgallo848

Commendable

Frerich. You missed your board. It is on the site that you provided. It's at the very bottom on the right. It is compatable.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

In the case of another, even older machine I had (HP Slimline, E2200 CPU if I recall), it was, strangely, also an nVidia motherboard chipset, and nVidia integrated graphics. It was a machine that had originally come with Vista.

On that machine, Windows used some default graphics driver, which made the display look pretty bad, but I was able to download the drivers for it from Nvidia's site - HOWEVER, they only had up to Windows 7 drivers for it.

I was able to install them, and they worked just fine with Windows 10.

Jun 20, 2019
Would love to hear from OP - What did you end up using? Or try updating to 10?

I have an AMD FX 8320 on an ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3, in an mATX config, and could not install Win10 when I built it, but I'm a noob for self-builds - it's on Win7. Obviously, I need to get this done before the end of 2019 to continue to get support after upgrading to Win 10, and Win 7 goes buh-bye. This PC works great, super fast, never lags, and runs large AutoCAD Civil 3d files for me no problem - while having Office applications (large Word docs), and streaming, goes from Off to working in AutoCAD in less than 2 mins. Probably with the help of the nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

I already have a Win10 licence, can I just plug in the USB reboot and install? Or do I need to do some prep work?