Windows 10 Not Activating

Status
Not open for further replies.

eL3ctro

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
I upgraded to Windows 10 earlier on today and my windows was activated this wasn't a clean install and it was fully activated everything, I received this was the best thing to do so the computer could register the system so I can clean install without a serial key but I was wrong I used this guide (http://lifehacker.com/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-1720775893) to insure but now windows is not activating saying the key has been blocked I purchased Windows 8 from PC world Uk last year what have I done? I could back date and might have to, to Windows 8 again and re download all updates but this is just a pain I see the partition known as OEM that was created by Windows to insure my windows was activated from the upgrade. Is it just me having this issue?

Solution
Did you check from settings > update & security > activation that it had activated? The activation servers seem to be hammered and I had to spam the activate button plenty of times for it to go through (it kept telling not connected to internet, others have had this problem aswell). My laptop activated straighth away though.

Samat

Distinguished
Did you check from settings > update & security > activation that it had activated? The activation servers seem to be hammered and I had to spam the activate button plenty of times for it to go through (it kept telling not connected to internet, others have had this problem aswell). My laptop activated straighth away though.

Solution

eL3ctro

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015

I don't even have a activate button just change product key, go to store, this product key doesn't work get in touch with shop or company. Well yes it should work

1) UK version of Windows is only upgradable in EU, you can not say use it in the US
2) Can't validate the authentication of that company you bought it from, but if they did it as a 'download 8.1' and MS is saying 'blocked' they may have sold illegal copies and licensing potentially
3) NO YOU CAN NOT DO A CLEAN INSTALL FOR UPGRADING. You MUST have a current, licensed, legal copy INSTALLED on the computer BEFORE you can upgrade to any other version. Clean Install is for those using the FULL Windows not Upgrade your trying to do.

eL3ctro

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-faq (Yes you can clean install even read FAQ section after the upgrade.

I stand corrected with the new change implemented. So your computer is now in the MS database and that is what is 'activated' per se according to what I am reading. If you change hardware you need to talk to them about activation now.. nice..

Status
Not open for further replies.