Question Windows 10 not booting properly

Koppara

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
Hi!
I installed Windows 10 to my SSD (Kingston A400 240GB), during the install I had only this SSD attached to my PC. The install goes perfectly fine. After installation, I attach my secondary SSD (Kingston SSDNow V+200 Series 60GB) and HDD (WD Green WD10EADS 1TB), now whenever I shut down my PC and start it up again, the PC freezes in the Windows logo (no loading balls, see the picture). I have to manually shut down the PC and boot it up again for it to boot normally. If I attach the main SSD only, it boots up fine every time.

The main SSD was bought new, and this PC used to have Windows in the HDD. The secondary SSD and the HDD were both formatted, should I try to format them again? I need help to get this problem fixed, I appreciate it.

5oQYJea.png

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Check your boot order in UEFI/BIOS. It sounds like one of the other drives is in the order first, which when it's not attached means that the system will look for the next device and the next, etc., etc., etc., and have only the one you wish to boot from to even try.

That device needs to be first in the boot order.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agree with above. Would also suggest checking in disk manager to see that all the "OEM Partitions" are off the disk(s) you reformatted. If there is a restore or system partition still there it could be throwing things off looking for boot on one of the other disks.

Koppara

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
Check your boot order in UEFI/BIOS. It sounds like one of the other drives is in the order first, which when it's not attached means that the system will look for the next device and the next, etc., etc., etc., and have only the one you wish to boot from to even try.

That device needs to be first in the boot order.
I checked it, and they are in the right order, so no errors from that side.

Agree with above. Would also suggest checking in disk manager to see that all the "OEM Partitions" are off the disk(s) you reformatted. If there is a restore or system partition still there it could be throwing things off looking for boot on one of the other disks.
Everything seems fine in disk manager, I think (picture in spoiler). Everything is in Finnish, but I added translations to maybe make it easier.
z4qDgci.png

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The two non system disks appear to be fine.

The only thing "odd" I note is that when I have formatted system disks it creates three partitions, OEM, EFI, and System (C). I see your disk only has two. Someone more knowledgeable than myself on the specifics of those partitions may have to chime in to whether they are all required or not.

Koppara

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
The two non system disks appear to be fine.

The only thing "odd" I note is that when I have formatted system disks it creates three partitions, OEM, EFI, and System (C). I see your disk only has two. Someone more knowledgeable than myself on the specifics of those partitions may have to chime in to whether they are all required or not.
Ok, Windows automatically created only two partitions when I installed W10.