Windows 10 not letting me set a 'foreign' program as default to open certain file type.

Oct 26, 2018
I recently reset my PC and now whenever I try to assign a program as a default to open a certain file type, it doesn't work. It allows me to assign windows installed programs like wordpad instead of notepad etc, but it won't let me assign 7zip as the default program for opening zips and rars, or notepad++ as the default for opening txt files. I'm running Windows 10 and I don't get any error messages when trying to do it, it just doesn't set.

Solution
Hi, I've noticed the same problem with Windows lately. I think it may have been the last cumulative update that fouled things up.

Rather than using Explorer or Settings to set the default file type, try using 7-zip itself. Run it as Admin. Go to Options / System and choose the types (under your username set it as 7-zip).

Do the same with Notepad++. Run as admin. Then under Settings / Preferences / File Associations set each one up.

Note, this may not actually associate the extension with the application, but it should at least release Microsoft's grip on the association, allowing you to associate the file type the next time you double click to open one. You may also have to right click on a file and choose "Open With". Be sure...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I've noticed the same problem with Windows lately. I think it may have been the last cumulative update that fouled things up.

Rather than using Explorer or Settings to set the default file type, try using 7-zip itself. Run it as Admin. Go to Options / System and choose the types (under your username set it as 7-zip).

Do the same with Notepad++. Run as admin. Then under Settings / Preferences / File Associations set each one up.

Note, this may not actually associate the extension with the application, but it should at least release Microsoft's grip on the association, allowing you to associate the file type the next time you double click to open one. You may also have to right click on a file and choose "Open With". Be sure to check the box at the bottom to "Always use this app to open ??? files".

Solution

gardenman

Splendid

That's currently not working for me on at least 2 of my systems. Neither is file Properties / Change button. Neither is changing it in Settings.

The only way I've found that works is to run the program as Admin and use it's own options to change the association. And even then, it usually only releases the grip that MS has on the extension, which then allows you to reset it the next time you try to open a file.

I think it's a recent Windows bug.

Recent threads related to this same issue:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3800987/change-file-associations-back-windows-photo-viewer.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3804791/change-default-media-player.html