Windows 10 Not Powering PC compelety down

Jan 15, 2019
Hello, below are my specs
CPU-i5 9600K (stock)
GPU-Aorus RTX 2070 OC 8GB (stock)
Motherboard-ASUS Prime Z390

Starting yesterday, I believe that Windows Update downloaded another update. I also downloaded 2 drivers for a wifi card but ended up deleting both programs for those cards. Now when I click the shutdown button or the sleep button the PC will go dark, and then boot right back up to the login screen. Also, if I hold the power button the PC will completely shut down, as it should with no booting back up again. I don't think its hardware related but more software related because I booted in safe mode and when I shut the PC down it shut down like it was supposed to and didn't boot back up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the issue I have? Thanks in advance!

Try checking for windows updates and install any that may appear. Windows is waking your PC for a reason.

Check Event Viewer. Search for Event Viewer, open it, on the left drop down 'Windows Logs', then go to 'System'. You'll see a list of events. Pay attention to the 'Source' tab, you'll want to look for events with source 'Power Troubleshooter', anytime your PC boots up, it prints the reason for wake in the log. Just scroll down by date/time until you find the last time your PC woke itself up, and you'll find the log with the reason.

ScienceMySon

Honorable
Jan 21, 2015
could be also that a service is booting the pc again. i suggest the same as Night owl to check the eventviewer. it is bound to pop-up in there.

I had similar issue with the drivers of my Creative soundcard. shut down pc but it booted itself up again. I ended up throwing away the card and deleting the drivers (and also the service) and the PC never did this again

Jan 15, 2019

Hello, so I checked the event viewer after booting up the pc and trying to shut it down. I had a power troubleshooter event and it said that;
The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎24T13:51:47.281453200Z
Wake Time: ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎24T13:52:03.427735500Z

Wake Source: Unknown

I also got many other errors from the initial boot today. Here are what they say.
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.

Would any of these cause the issues? The only workaround that I found was if I turn off fast startup (which I want on) the PC shuts down normally but sleep still does not work.

ScienceMySon

Honorable
Jan 21, 2015

do you have an option in fast startup like Disabled, fast and ultra fast ?
if so take fast insted of ultra fast

Jan 15, 2019

All I see when I go into the power and sleep settings in windows is the option to check Turn on Fast Startup (recommended).

PC-GAMER_1

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
This comment will not help but I had the exact same issue a while back where I would click shut down and it would go through the process for it to instantly go back to my desktop and the only way was to force shut down. It pi**ed me off so much i ended up reformatting and it solved the issue.

Jan 15, 2019

Checked the motherboard BIOS and it only has one option for fast boot which was enabling/disabling fast boot. No ultraboot or anything.

Jan 15, 2019

I am hoping I can find the solution and not have to reformat everything...

Jan 15, 2019
Did a full reset, still doesn't fix the issue so I'll try and remove the video card and see if that is causing the issue, if not then I'll just take it in to a shop to diagnose it... :/