Question Windows 10 only booting when connected to LAN

Aug 31, 2024
I am running windows 10 on a Dell7710 I received from work. It was a retired PC they wiped and did a factory reset. Once I got it I also did a factory reset and installed the preloaded Windows image. Recently I have ran into a strange issue where Windows will not fully boot unless I am connected to the internet through LAN. About 30 seconds after the desktop I get BSoD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

What I have tried so far -
Disabling the adapter in windows.
Uninstalling the adapter and driver in windows.
Disabling the adapter in BIOS.
Disabling wake on LAN in BIOS. Windows adapter settings are set to not allow the NIC to wake.
Enabling in BIOS with and without PXE.
Booting with the router disconnected from the internet.
A different router. Connected, works fine, disconnected BSoD.

It does boot just fine in safe mode when disconnected, Boots just fine to a Linux USB drive. Something in Windows is trying to connect to the internet and start up causing it to crash. I have uninstalled AutoCAD and Office 2022 incase it was a problem with the startup licensing services. I have uninstalled my VPM software,

I am completely out of ideas. I have not yet tried a clean install of Windows. I am hoping that wont be needed unless a last resort, but I have a feeling it is going to end up that way.

USAFRet

Titan
a factory reset and installed the preloaded Windows image
Try another install, with a vanilla image from Microsoft.

That factory image may have some corporate level connection stuff in there.