[SOLVED] Windows 10 only showing command prompt

lopespintorodrigo

Commendable
Feb 12, 2018
My PC was running strange yesterday, everything kept crashing due to lack of memory, so I decided to restart it and when I did windows, after asking me for my password to login (as normal) booted to a black screen and command prompt only. No desktop, no nothing. Same thing happens on safe mode. I'm able to access task manager normally and if I type explorer.exe on the console everything goes back to normal for that session. If I boot the computer again it'll go back to the black screen.

I've tried some solutions that didn't work. I ran an anti-virus while on safe mode and didn't detect any virus on my computer. Went to the "Winlogon" registry and checked "Shell" and it's okay ("explorer.exe"). Ran "sfc /scannow" on the console, it detected errors and fixed it but it did not fix the problem.

How do I fix this?

Solution
Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? At this point, I'd ask you to backup all critical content from your OS installation drive and see if reinstalling the OS changes your experience.

As for reinstalling the OS, recreate your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Prior to reinstallation, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform.

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? At this point, I'd ask you to backup all critical content from your OS installation drive and see if reinstalling the OS changes your experience.

As for reinstalling the OS, recreate your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Prior to reinstallation, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform.

Solution

lopespintorodrigo

Commendable
Feb 12, 2018

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I have two seperate hard-drives, will they be affected if I factory reset Windows?

TRENDING THREADS