Question Windows 10 PC freezes, then gets stuck in a restart loop after hard reset.

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
My PC stats for reference - Under minimal load.

5580b578f96be1fc8ef31256c3f2f9d1.png

Hello folks,

Yesterday my computer froze while I was playing a game and watching videos. I couldn't do anything like move my mouse. Noise was still coming out of my speakers, as if repeating the sounds at the moment of the freeze. I waited, assuming this was going to give me a BSOD, but it never did, and I had to hold down the power button to restart it.

The computer started up fine, and I was able to use it again for some time (about an hour, roughly) before the same thing happened again.

This time after I did the hard reset, my computer would attempt to start up (power came on) but then shut down after about a second. This continued until I decided to turn the power off at the wall socket. I did not attempt to use the computer again that night.

Fast forward to today, and I'm here using my computer right now to type this out. I'm looking at speccy, and everything seems fine, temperature-wise. It is a cool 21 degrees Celsius (71F) outside today and I've got the case open, so I guess that helps. All my CPU/PSU/Chassis fans are functional.

I thought this might be an overheating issue (still could be I suppose) as that would explain the computer turning off and on at startup, but I can't be sure as I don't have the materials on hand to test.

I'll be trying to get this into a shop ASAP, because I can't live without my PC (first world problems, I know), but I'd still love to get some feedback here, as I love learning how to fix these sorts of things.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jimmy.

By unplugging your computer (best if you also press the on button after), you cold booted your computer. The process drains the electricity saved in the power supply that can keep corrupt information in your RAM, especially when it is not shut down properly. Best to also check the inside the case for a buildup of dust. Make sure the fans, vents and PSU intake are clean.

Last edited:

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
1) What PSU did you have? Maybe the PSU can't handle the gtx1060.

2) Because you had 3 monitors, open the speccy in one of monitor to monitor the GPU/CPU temp during the games.

I have a 500W PSU. The computer repairman said it could be the issue, and recommended a 750W at least. Though he couldn't reproduce the same problem that I encountered. Temps are a-okay across the board.

By unplugging your computer (best if you also press the on button after), you cold booted your computer. The process drains the electricity saved in the power supply that can keep corrupt information in your RAM, especially when it is not shut down properly. Best to also check the inside the case for a buildup of dust. Make sure the fans, vents and PSU intake are clean.

I never unplugged it when this issue happened, but had to to take it to the computer shop. The case is fairly clean as well.