[SOLVED] Windows 10 pc stuck at working on updates

daddystabz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I was having some performance issues with my Windows 10 desktop pc earlier and went to reboot my pc and I kept getting the message that it was preparing Windows upon the reboot but it never got past that part so I rebooted the pc again via the reset button and now it has been stuck saying "working on updates 100% complete Don't turn off your computer" for a long time.

I have disconnected several USB devices but it has still not progressed past this screen.

Please help! What should I do now?

Solution
interrupting windows during an update doesn't end well. You probably need to clean install to fix it.

do you have an installer? if not,
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its a handy boot drive

I can show you how to save anything on C you can't lose
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

once you copied everything off, I would clean install
follow this guide...

Colif

Win 11 Master
interrupting windows during an update doesn't end well. You probably need to clean install to fix it.

do you have an installer? if not,
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its a handy boot drive

I can show you how to save anything on C you can't lose
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

once you copied everything off, I would clean install
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution

daddystabz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
The thing is when it first git stuck it didn't mention Windows Update at all, it just said it was preparing Windows. After I rebooted because it seemed stuck (via the reset button) it then brought up the Windows Update 100% message and has not moved past that.

In fact, I just woke up and checked it this morning and it is still sitting on the Windows Update 100% message. I am not sure if I should try to hard boot it by holding the power button till it shuts down and try booting up from scratch that way.

daddystabz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I rebooted and it said it was getting Windows ready and then went to the next screen where it was loading my desktop and then my desktop loaded! Woot!

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate it. You guys are the best.

Reactions: Colif