Windows 10 Preview Build 10130: Small Improvements, More Polish

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Unfortunately, that's it for Windows 10. No more serious improvements - they already said they would only polish it some more but it will remain the same old Windows 8 on the surface. Let's hope they don't screw up even more, after screwing us up with their new licensing terms. We'll pirate Windows copies and licenses just like we've been doing until now, so we don't really need a free upgrade to Windows 10 anyway.

I've personally installed this patch on both my VM and my laptop, and I must agree with the bug problems. One HUGE problem for me is that sometimes when I press the start button, the entire start menu never pops up anymore. I have to sign out then log in for it to work again.

However, I LOVE the new weather app and the other apps that Microsoft has polished up. I love the new layout and look, it's a perfect hybrid between mouse and touch.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Unfortunately, that's it for Windows 10. No more serious improvements - they already said they would only polish it some more but it will remain the same old Windows 8 on the surface. Let's hope they don't screw up even more, after screwing us up with their new licensing terms. We'll pirate Windows copies and licenses just like we've been doing until now, so we don't really need a free upgrade to Windows 10 anyway.
What new licensing terms, where are they published? And has someone figured out UEFI pirating, because as far as I'm aware even 7 doesn't have that still after all these years & since 10 forces uefi...

Since MS went with "tiles", a nice option would be to allow people to pick any image file on the computer and make it the tile, no additional software or tweaks needed. You select the image and set it as default for the tile, even add a place in the control panel to further customize the pic for use. I've been doing this for customizing Windows 7, but I had to install a separate program to make icon files for it to work.

I like these updates, but the one issue that still persists are the duplicate programs. There is a settings app and the control panel, and Microsoft needs to only have one setting app for Windows (2 gets confusing).

Unless I'm just not seeing them, there are still features in the control panel of Windows 10 that aren't present in the metro-style Settings, such as most of the advanced power plan settings.

I agree that there should only be one of these programs. Having two repositories containing (hopefully all of) the same things is wasteful.

Right now, my biggest complaint with Windows 10 is probably the lack of proper control over Windows Update. I couldn't figure out how to stop it from restarting without my permission, let alone let me choose what updates to install and when to install them. Right now, I've only managed to force it to let me stop the automatic restart using a command line workaround.

3ogdy

Distinguished

That's just part of the mess. They split settings between the two Control Panels. I suppose it was too hard for them to put everything in one place and then adapt that to Metro in a way more similar to how shortcuts work but maintaining the Metro GUI.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Why can't microsoft understand? We DONT WANT CONSISTENCY BETWEEN DESKTOP AND MOBILE, we want our desktop OS to look and behave like a desktop and mobile be mobile. Keep that route and soon you'll go the IBM 1985 way.

I think those automatic updates might only be for the tech preview and not the official OS once it comes out.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
You seem to be suffering from some sort of blindness... Their licensing terms seem unchanged. A lot of these 'polish' improvements are quite decent. So much is better here than 8.1. Sad you can't it.

Same here, I personally got the notification too.

So, when we install windows 10, does that seal the upgrade? So for example, say I want to put windows 10 on another PC via my windows 8 (not OEM) product key, I should be able to do it right?

Gutiari

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
These idiots still havent figured out that Windows 7 was their best release.
Sigh.

Instead they continue to build and improve upon Windows 8. Im not going to switch over. I guess I will have to wait for the next iteration because 10 is going to be garbage.

nooneimportant

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
I just bought 8.1... so that means the license for 8.1 works with 10. all I need to do is hit system tray icon that sais "get windows 10".

how about you get rid of your advertising, pop -ups, tray icons, and fix the previous builds 7- 8.1 before releasing another mind bending cram your phone options onto my gaming DESKTOP !!!

Am I seeing correctly in that screenshot that there is a dark theme for Win 10 with grey text on a charcoal background (on that menu)? The Windows 8/8.1 themes are all just so very, very bright (thankfully there are theme hacks to fix this issue, but still not ideal).

Windows 10 is just as customizable as windows 7 and 8, so you can change it to any color.

there wouldn't be any reason why MS would change the terms of the licence the key carries.

These idiots still havent figured out that Windows 7 was their best release.
Sigh.

Instead they continue to build and improve upon Windows 8. Im not going to switch over. I guess I will have to wait for the next iteration because 10 is going to be garbage.

LOL your loss dude. just don;t go crying to MS when a few years from now when everyone starts dropping driver support for windows 7 and you have to go buy a copy of it for over 100 bucks just so you can play call of duty "insert reduiclouss name here" again

Ok, just looked at Q/A for windows 10. According to Microsoft, you can ONLY install windows 10 ON ONE SYSTEM if you are upgrading from windows 7 or windows 8.1. So even if you don't have a OEM copy, windows 10 will still limited to that system you put it on. However, if you buy windows 10 then that's a different story.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
With windows 10, can you now zoom in Microsoft Paint between 50% and 100%? I doubt they improved that. Or fully allow file paths longer than 255 characters in Explorer.exe use

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS