Windows 10 Preview Build 17083 Brings Settings Changes, Windows Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
Anyone know when the next version of Windows is coming? I'm using 7 at the moment but don't really care for 10's interface.

USAFRet

Titan

There is no real "next version". Just a series of semi-annual updates to "Windows".

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012

Of course there will be a next version. How will Microsoft make money if they don't give customers something new to spend their cash on? Besides, at some point, the GUI will need to evolve, possibly a new file system, these things require a new version.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Changing the GUI does not necessarily require a new "number".
There have already been significant changes in Win 10 since it was released.

2. People "buy" a new OS with every new PC or laptop they buy or build. The number of people that actually "buy" a new OS to replace an existing one on their system is quite small.
People changed from Win 7 or 8.1 to 10 because it was a free Upgrade. If they had to shell out the typical $40 for an Upgrade version...most would not.

3. New version, eventually? With a potential new file system? Yeah, maybe.
But that is a LONG way off. Or just another evolution of "Windows".

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Not for a very long time. Microsoft made it clear when Windows 10 launched they intended it to be a very long term product with major updates along the way. Essentially like OS X, which is quite a different product today from when OS X was first shipped on Mac systems.

My own take on the Windows 8 debacle is that it should have been a separate product solely for tablets and other mobile devices. For desktops there should have been a major revision of Windows 7, say Windows 7 SE, that incorporated a lot of the under the hood improvements and allowed use of UWP apps without forcing the Win8 UI on desktop users, where it was a hated disaster, just like nearly everyone in the beta group told them it would be.

Microsoft learned their lesson, somewhat. Windows 10 will be with us for a long time, picking up features in the twice a year updates and thus evolving. If Microsoft wants to try something radically different they'll put it in a separate SKU and not upset the existing base until this new product has proven itself.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012

Eventually Windows will go with the Office 365 business model i.e pay a yearly fee.

USAFRet

Titan

Eventually, maybe, probably not.
But that is not automatically a bad idea.

Following the Office365 subscription....5 licenses in your house, $100/year.
As opposed to $150 x 5 at current Office pricing, for fewer Office features.

Extrapolate to current WIn 10 pricing...maybe $60/year for 5 household systems. As opposed to $90 each for 5 systems.

I'm not saying *I* would do it...just that's its not automatically a bad idea.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

I doubt it. I'd bet there is just as much push within Microsoft to make it free to consumers and only charge for domain capable licenses. Being the base platform, all revenue from everything else is contingent on the adoption of that platform. Especially now with the Store and the hopes they've placed on getting a piece of the action with third party software sales, like Apple, Google, and game consoles makers. There has always been a perception that you devalue a thing if you give it away but the incentive to make the cost as close to invisible as possible to consumers is there. Those of us who build our own PCs and buy OS licenses for them are a small sector by comparison.

I could see it for small businesses that are big enough for a domain server but not big enough to deal in the more complex licensing regimes Microsoft offers.

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly.
And Windows as a "mandatory subscription" was widely and loudly assumed to be 'the new thing', 2 years ago.

And businesses already do this with a Volume Licensing agreement. Pay $xxxx per year, for YY systems. And get to stay up to date with whatever new 'version' is out.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I've modded the crap out of windows 7 and updates every 6 months don't play well for a modded OS. Way too much work to deal with. I've tested it on extra HDD and it always breaks something for me. On a vanilla OS its fine but I'm picky. Eventually I'll have to switch but I'm doing it on my own time and not Microsoft's. New isn't always better for every person.

USAFRet

Titan

No, new isn't always better for everyone.
But Jan 14, 2020 is just over the horizon.

hannibal

Distinguished
Jep end of the line to win7 is very near.
I think that new filesystem will be in win10 by that time at least as an option Also to customers. Not much more. Most likely more security options because of meltdown and spectre allso in os level too.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002

Home 128bit computing makes no sense whatsoever, so no: the next Windows version will not be 128bit.

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
If I recall correctly, MSFT doesn't even make that much money from Windows licensing anymore. I won't be surprised if they just make it free eventually, just to maintain their ecosystem.

Ed the C

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
How about they fix the problems they have rather than keep shoving more crap down our throats. I pretty much hate W10 for a lot of reasons. One of which the creator's update shoved down our throats. It simply will not install on my rather modern Dell laptop, and then keeps annoying me to download and try again. Reboots, takes forever, then says "F U, can't install, ha ha just wasted 20 minutes of your time!" (Yes, I turned off updates, a difficult process, but why should I have to dig into the OS to do so???) Ugh. And the amount of advertising shoved in our face sucks too - notifications have become so overwhelming that I had to turn them off. "Ding" every few minutes with some BS. Ugh again.

Just got a Note 8 with Dex dock - I'm pretty impressed. Full 1080 Landscaped and windowed interface from my phone - where most of my stuff lives these days.

Corporate laptop still on W7 - fine with me!

I have never, not once, ever seen an advertisement in any copy of Windows 10 that I've installed. So either all of you who HAVE are failing to make the necessary changes to security and personalization settings that are needed to avoid this, or just have no clue how to. I assure you, there is no need to deal with in OS advertisements AND as has been the case for the last four OS iterations, at least, there are plenty of shell customizations to make Windows look AND act like whichever OS version you prefer. Vista (Now there's an fugly OS version if there ever was one), 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 can ALL be made to shell the start menu and most other features like any of those other versions with the use of Classic Shell or Startisback, or others like them.

Your arguments fall on deaf ears. Win10 can look and act exactly like Win7, except with a completely different engine under the hood. Think 69 Vette with fuel injected LS1 5.7l conversion. Kind of.

Tanyac

Reputable
Classic Shell is now dead. The author has has ceased development and support because of Micro$oft changing things all the time.

If W10 can be made to look like 7, can you please point me to a program/patch/hack that will give me back glass transparency with rounded corners. like in Windows 7.

Also, I'd like to get rid of the atrocious icons used in W10. I can customize a couple of them, but most are still the default W10 icons.

On the task bar I'd like it to look like Windows 7. Get rid of the annoying line under the tab.

As far as timeline is concerned, as long as I can uninstall or at least disable it I'll be happy.

Agree completely, not having rounded corners and having a line under an icon vs not having a line under an icon, are such trivial points that it is irrelevant.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
@chicofehr
You don't really to update win7 after 2014. I pretty much uninstalled all security patches except the the last ones of december 2014.

Any new patches are basically win10esque spyware camouflaged as "critical updates".

Status
Not open for further replies.