Windows 10 Preview Build 18309 Hushes Cortana, Expands Password-Less Accounts

stdragon

Admirable
The password will never go away, it's impossible for it to go away. When you hear phrases such as "password-less" security, it's nothing more than a real password being abstracted into another form of authentication.

Case in point - There will always be a local admin account on any Windows computer; if anything for future recovery.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...I would be more pleased if they "divorced" Cortana form the search routine and made it an optional App in the App store for those who want it. I don't need some insipid anthropomorphised digital assistant to nag me. I just need a lean OS efficient that doesn't get in the way of my work.

stdragon

Admirable
Without Cortana and the App Store? That would be Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. It's not cheap, and I doubt most gamers would be interested in it as the build is rather old and lacking other small gaming features since added to newer builds.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...I work with 3D CG and am not into gaming. I don't need all that fluffware bloat. Even in the pro edition there is now way to completely remove Cortana as it is integrated into the OS search routine, bad idea for if you attempt to completely disable it, you also cripple system searches. Why MS development thinks everyone wants this kind of rubbish is beyond me. I just need a basic OS to support the software I use, without the Spawn of Bob and Clippy.

I'm not advocating eliminating the App Store, just put all the useless fluff like Cortana and other bloatware there instead of integrating it into the base OS.

They also need to get rid of force feeding updates on users in the Pro Edition, and go back to the original format of Patch Tuesday where one could review each individual update file for bugs or to see if it is necessary before installing, instead of having them bundled them all together like they now do.