windows 10 pro oem install telling me "home"

Status
Not open for further replies.

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
purchased the win10 pro oem and the COA on the dvd says it's the win10 pro 64 bit version...

wanting to clean install over a cloned version of win10 home

when i pop in the the dvd disc and tell it to erase all data, it pops up a "ready to install" screen saying that it's going to install Windows 10 HOME and "not keep anything"

I want the pro version.

what am i doing wrong?

should i be trying to boot from the dvd on startup instead?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You should be booting from the DVD at startup, and formatting the drive from the installer.

Yes, boot from the DVD. Assuming there is no data there you wish to save, wipe out the existing partitions on the destination drive. New ones will be created. If you do want to save data there, disconnect the original drive and install to a new hard drive, then connect the original drive as a secondary data drive.

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
i booted from dvd, formatted the drive and let it install, went thru the setup and went into system information and it is showing that windows 10 home (version 1511, 10586) is installed and is updating

what did i do wrong?

during the installation process, it popped up some pages really for a fraction of a second and then removed them and i had little chance to read or see what was on them.

during a fresh install does it give you the option to choose win10 pro vs win10 home?

It looked like one of those pages was asking about "64 bit"

btw...it never asked me to enter any microsoft key like what is showing on the COA label

cec_consulting

Prominent
May 24, 2017
I have this same issue with two different copies of the OEM Pro....boot from DVD and install on brand new SSD drives never used. There is no Remote Desktop and the properties show Home not PRO..

The MS label says win pro 10 64 bit but that is not the case

n10 pro oem and the COA on the dvd says it's the win10 pro 64 bit version...

wanting to clean install over a cloned version of win10 home

when i pop in the the dvd disc and tell it to erase all data, it pops up a "ready to install" screen saying that it's going to install Windows 10 HOME and "not keep anything"

I want the pro version.

what am i doing wrong?

should i be trying to boot from the dvd on startup instead?[/quotemsg]

You should be booting from the DVD at startup, and formatting the drive from the installer.[/quotemsg]

Status
Not open for further replies.