Windows 10 | Problems and etc.

me7alftw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Excuse my bad English in advance, please.

So, recently I installed windows 10 on my PC, everything went well, no problems at all, all files kept, no registry errors nothing. So, my dad asked me to put windows 10 on his laptop as well, since he saw the improvement at the overall performance and decided that it would be good for his laptop (it's less powerful than my PC, it's 3-4 year old already). I decided to install it, since i knew that it's free upgrade, but when i started the download ( i used the extract ISO file method like i did on my pc ) and started it. Then I got asked for a win 10 key, and since i don't have any i was curious why does it ask me since i am on legit win 7, not pirated or this BS. So i went to google and said "screw it" and decided to get some random key, and got Windows 10 Home key, put it on and it said the key is valid and i proceeded. One thing i noticed is that the Keep all files and programs was greyed out, only got the remove everything or keep the personal files, but i decided to go anyway.

Install went good, until the place where It's cyan screen and it's supposed to be the choosing screen (Where it asks you to choose wifi, choose settings), the buttons were there, but i didn't see any text ?!?! It was like empty everywhere but when i pressed tab i could see the buttons. And i just pressed space 3 times and it went into the loading circle example : https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uBupnGtxOxU/hqdefault.jpg

It sat there for over 50 minutes and i decided to reset it, nothing happened again and again and again. Decided to go for startup troubleshoot, no errors found.
Then finally i just gave up and said, i am rolling back to windows 7.
Now here happens the fun part. It's staying on "Restarting the computer from let's say..3 hours, maybe by the time somebody answers me it's going to be 4 :D
Now, any ideas how to fix AT LEAST the roll back issue, since i don't even want to try to brick it further, I think i already did it anyway...

P.S Heard that upgrading to windows 10 from laptop is big issue for many users too, many people saying that win 10 is not designed for laptops at all, dunno if this is actually true.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the long part, but i had to explain it the best way so you can follow what i went through. Haven't tried the safe mode boot, since I just wanted to rollback to win 7, seems like that is not working too... I really need your help on this one, I am literally out of ANY ideas for probably the first time ever...

Solution
You'd have to delete at least C, since that's Windows and Sys Reserved by itself is way too small to provide the space for a new installation. As far as D, it's not essential. If you wish to totally start fresh and don't care about anything that might be on it, might as well knock it out too.
The idea that any OS is "not designed for laptops" is obviously bogus given the shift from predominantly desktop to mobile computing since the late 90's. Besides the fact that most of the inner hardware is essentially the same between desktops and laptops, MS would be crazy not to optimize for what is now the majority of the PC market. Some percentage of systems (of any kind) will encounter errors in the upgrade process.

As to the key, a current Win 10 installer will accept the original Windows 7 or 8 key for activation. Look for a sticker on the bottom of the laptop(sometimes hidden under the battery) with the original key on it.

Before I go further: how important is it to retain the files on that system?

me7alftw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

Not important at all, this laptop used to be bricked, only the power button light up for 2 secs then lights down, it's my father's laptop, he gave it to close computer services they fixed it for 1 week, got it back, worked for 2hours bricked again, gave it to computer service far from us (300 km away) and got it after 2 months, now it's all fixed but all of a sudden there was some kind of win 7 is not validated sticker at the bottom, and since I got sick of it, i didn't have any key, there are no stickers on the laptop, except nvidia and intel i think, and got an activator from a friend which fixed it, which made me curious if they actually sold the laptop with fake win 7 but whatever

The files are not important at all, i think of reinstalling windows 7 but since i don't have the key, I think i am going to borrow a CD from a friend or in the end download it, not gonna buy for sure.

OK. Well it's safe to wipe it out then. As to this licensing issue, I can't be sure how the laptop came to you or why it lost it's key (and sticker); however, it is against forum policy to advise on pirated copies of software. I can say it's fine to get a copy of the software itself (you can download a copy of Win 10 directly from MS servers to put on a flash drive or DVD - without a key) since legally the key really is what you pay for but without a proper key to activate it that's illegal.

Perhaps you can find a Windows 7 key somewhere for a relatively low cost (Microsoft no longer sells Win 7 keys themselves but old, unused keys are still out there) but do try to make sure it's legit.

me7alftw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

Just wanted to ask something before I reinstall it, should i wipe the system reserved and the C part ? I have C and D, The C part is for windows, D is for storage, but i know there is the hidden one with system reserved, should i wipe them both, but leave the Storage partition ?

me7alftw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

Yeah but, should i also delete the C and D partition or only the system reserved ?

You'd have to delete at least C, since that's Windows and Sys Reserved by itself is way too small to provide the space for a new installation. As far as D, it's not essential. If you wish to totally start fresh and don't care about anything that might be on it, might as well knock it out too.

Solution

me7alftw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

Alright dude, thanks a lot for your help and fast response, will tell you if there's anything wrong so you can give me a hand during the install / after the install. For now thanks a lot, really appreciate your fast answer