Question Windows 10 Professional installer question

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Quick question here. So my sister has an HP laptop that runs Windows 10 Home Basic X64. I used an installer for Professional X64 to restore her laptop and reinstall Windows, but to my surprise, it booted up with a clean install of Home Basic again? It WAS a clean install, no HP bloatware and nothing that was there from the factory, but it was Home Basic? When I installed Professional, I DID get some error that said something about the partitions not being in recommended order for a GPT disk installation if that means anything, but can someone explain why or how that even happens? Thanks!

Also, I got the iso from Microsoft's website directly, not from a sketchy source.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The installer is the same for all versions, the license code tells windows what to install. Her PC had win home on it before, windows put same version on again.

If you wanted to put the PRo license on, you could add it to the settings/update & security/activation page and it will upgrade her license and version to Pro. Otherwise, windows did the right thing :)

Last edited:

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
The installer is the same for all versions, the license code tells windows what to install. Her PC had win home on it before, windows put same version on again.

If you wanted to put the PRo license on, you could add it to the settings/update & security/activation page and it will upgrade her license and version to Pro. Otherwise, windows did the right thing :)
Alrighty! So used her old product key and installed accordingly then? So lets say I removed her product key and THEN installed professional, it would proceed to install Professional?

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
The old product key is saved on Microsoft's server, so the installer will check for that. If you use the upgrade Colif gave you, then the MS server will save that info. Be prepared to anti up $100 or so for the upgrade.
Alright cool thanks! I can get a professional key, no issue there, just baffled me why it installed Home edition, but I get it now! Thanks guys! 😄

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
The old product key is saved on Microsoft's server, so the installer will check for that. If you use the upgrade Colif gave you, then the MS server will save that info. Be prepared to anti up $100 or so for the upgrade.
Here's another question. If I remove her product key using the command "slmgr /upk" and then try the installer, will it give me Pro? Unlicensed of course.... But will it install pro afterwards?

USAFRet

Titan
Here's another question. If I remove her product key using the command "slmgr /upk" and then try the installer, will it give me Pro? Unlicensed of course.... But will it install pro afterwards?
There is no need to "remove" the license key.
You can just do a clean install of whichever version you wish.

You have to completely delete all existing partitions and reformat the drive while you do this.

D

Deleted member 14196

If you have already installed home you can just use windows to replace the key to pro and it will install the rest of the Pro onto your pc. In the activation area you will find a place to replace the key

Colif

Win 11 Master
I already said you can upgrade her version to Pro -

If you wanted to put the PRo license on, you could add it to the settings/update & security/activation page and it will upgrade her license and version to Pro.

You can upgrade home to Pro, you just can't go the other way. Pro is an upgrade for home, the key being inserted in the screen i mentioned will make windows add all the extra features. No clean install required.

Reactions: H4X0R46

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
I already said you can upgrade her version to Pro -

You can upgrade home to Pro, you just can't go the other way. Pro is an upgrade for home, the key being inserted in the screen i mentioned will make windows add all the extra features. No clean install required.

Yeah you DID already say that, just forgot to mention a clean install was part of my plan, starting over with a clean install lol. Thanks for all your help guys!