Windows 10 promotional/deals ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

timewaster1700

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I was wondering if anyone knows or suspects if there will be any promotional prices for Windows 10 when its released. Doing my first PC build. Will need to either go free with Linux or purchase windows. Any chance you think they'll have full versions or OEM versions discounted when it initially comes out to attract people? (I know 7 and 8 users get it free, but I'm talking about a new copy for a new PC build)

Solution
The retail price has already been announced. Any 'discount' would have to come from a reseller...Newegg or Amazon or the like.

From MS:
How much does Windows 10 cost?

The easiest way to get Windows 10 is to upgrade for free.1 We explain how to take advantage of this limited time offer above.

You may also purchase a copy of Windows 10 if you decide not to upgrade, or if you need to purchase a copy for other reasons like installing on a PC you built yourself.

The retail prices for Windows 10 are the same as Windows 8.1.6 Windows 10 Home is $119.99. Windows 10 Pro is $199.99. And Windows 10 Pro Pack, which enables you to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, is $99.99.7 All these are available in stores or online.

USAFRet

Titan
The retail price has already been announced. Any 'discount' would have to come from a reseller...Newegg or Amazon or the like.

From MS:
How much does Windows 10 cost?

The easiest way to get Windows 10 is to upgrade for free.1 We explain how to take advantage of this limited time offer above.

You may also purchase a copy of Windows 10 if you decide not to upgrade, or if you need to purchase a copy for other reasons like installing on a PC you built yourself.

The retail prices for Windows 10 are the same as Windows 8.1.6 Windows 10 Home is $119.99. Windows 10 Pro is $199.99. And Windows 10 Pro Pack, which enables you to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, is $99.99.7 All these are available in stores or online.

Solution
Why would they need to attract buyers with discounted prices? They would be selling to people building their own machines, and they don't need to be "attracted" to a particular OS. New buyers are those buying new systems, and the PC makers are competing for those buyers, not the OS makers. The best you could hope for is a promotion from a retailer, but I wouldn't expect MS to discount it.

timewaster1700

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Well you make a good point, unless you build your computer you don't ever pay for the OS. It's too bad they charge so much. I could do the OEM version for $90 but then I can never move it to another machine. Dang Linux is sounding more appealing all the time especially since this build isn't for gaming.

Hey,

When Windows 8 came out there was a promo $40 price however that was ONLY for the upgrade version which isn't applicable to W10.

As said, the pricing has announced.

*Be warned there will as always be ILLEGAL CODES or even discs sold so attempt to buy from what seems a reputable source. If it's $70 instead of $120USD then caveat emptor.

**Beta testing solution:
This entire issue is really confusing and it's not completely certain what "forever beta tester" actually means. What happens if you need to reinstall Windows? Will it really expire?

On the other hand, why NOT attempt it and if there is some issue then just buy a code or go to Linux or whatever. Lots of info on the net on how to become a "forever tester".

http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-finally-decides-no-free-windows-10-for-beta-1713251432

"It all boils down to a simple choice: you can remain an Insider, running the latest (and buggiest) beta version of 10, but never having to pay for it; or, you can pony up for a new license key like everyone else."

*Thus as said above to you want to be a guinea pig?
Put another way, your system might CRASH after a Microsoft update due to an issue which is then corrected and never seen by those of us who have the RTM version.

It might not be so bad. Then again maybe you'll have issues. As I said before though, you can always go BETA and buy it later if you get frustrated though troubleshooting some issue for HOURS without solution which you may or may not figure out is a BETA issue is a big potential issue.

USAFRet

Titan
Beta testing and the Insider program:

From Gabe Aul - http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/
----------------------------------------------
The crux of it is this:

Do you want to continue as a Windows Insider and keep getting preview builds after 7/29?
Or do you want to upgrade your Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system that has been getting Windows 10 Insider Preview builds to the 7/29 release and stop being an Insider?
---------------------------------------------

So, remain on the Insider program, and get new builds when they want to push them.
Or, buy Win 10 or upgrade from a qualifying Win 7 or 8.1.

USAFRet

Titan
One of the partitions on my secondary laptop will remain on that program. But only because it is a secondary machine, with nothing of consequence on it.
My main box? No way. And all the other machines in the house will be upgraded in the normal way.

timewaster1700

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Hmm I wonder if I should go for a 250 SSD instead of a 120 and partition it in half. Start with Linux on one side and have the flexibility to partition and add windows. Idk windows makes life a little easier though and has more software options.

Status
Not open for further replies.