windows 10 randomly freezes

joffe

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
hello everyone,

Last week I built my first pc from scratch and after some pretty annoying problems (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2962662/post-show-video.html) it finally worked and I could install windows.
now an hour after I installed windows I left the system idle for 10 minutes and when I came back it was frozen up, all lights and fans still running, still outputting video signal (albeit frozen) but I couldn't do anything besides hard resetting it. I thought this would be resolved by installing the newest drivers for all my components but it didn't.

so this is happening from the moment after I first installed windows. the only things connected to the pc the first time were a keyboard, a wireless mouse and a monitor.

the freezing seems to happen only when just browsing the web, sitting idle on desktop, listening music... It has never occured when playing games (which I've now done for several hours and never had a freeze)

the strange thing is, when this happens, my keyboard and (if connected) xbox one controller lose power and the lights go off, but my external hdd, usb dac and usb wifi adapter still light up.

in the windows log files I've found critical errors at the exact time of freezing which are saying 'source: kernel power, your system has turned off without first being shut off correctly...'

another thing is a warning called 'kernel-PnP' which says The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{0b34b346-cd2a-11e5-96ea-408d5c54dd9c}#0000000000100000

Maybe I've missed something important in those log files but I'm not very knowledgeable about that but these two stood out for me.

I would like some advice as to in which direction to look for the problem because I really don't know where to start.

thanks!

System specs:
CPU: Intel core i5 6600k (LGA1151)
Mobo: gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3-EU
RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB kit (DDR4-2400, CL16 (16-16-16), 1.2Volt)
CPU cooler: Noctua nh-u14s
Video card: Msi Gtx 970 gaming 4G
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
Case: Fractal design define R5 (with 1 extra noctua fan)
keyboard: corsair gaming strafe
mouse: logitech wireless m705 marathon mouse
wifi adapter: asus usb-n53 wireless n600

Solution

sounds like a motherboard or power supply failure. more likely a motherboard issue.
can you check your bios for the mode your hard drives are set to. are they in ACHI/RAID or IDE?

looks like a windows driver issue, mostlikely to do with one of your SATA drives or the motherboard chipset driver

I would also try to manually download drivers for that motherboard from the gigabyte website for win10, and install them all, might fix the problem.

As a last gasp nothing else works solution, you can try disabling hibernate and sleep modes on that pc, i think the problem is being triggered by that. though you probably would rather solve the driver problem then simply disable a low power mode to avoid it.

joffe

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

my ssd and hdd are in AHCI mode and I updated all drivers from the website (I installed them the first time with the cd that came with the board so that might have been a problem). the only thing that I wasn't able to install was Intel Management Engine Interface, it gave me an error that looked like this: install failed due to an irretrieveable error (translated from dutch so it may not be totally correct)

As for disabling hibernate and sleep modes, do you mean just changing the settings in windows control panel or do you mean something in the bios or something?

thanks!

well you can straight up disable hibernate, i'd suggest you do it. it's never really worked right in windows, though windows 8.1, and windows 10 do better with it, it still can cause issues.

to disable hibernate (perminently)
hit your windows+s key
type "CMD" into the search box
right click on the "CMD" program that shows up in the results
run as admin
type into the command prompt interface that loads "powercfg /hibernate off"
hit enter
close command prompt
that will permanently disable hibernate mode (if you want to turn it back on, do those steps and type "powercfg /hibernate on")
you can turn sleep mode off in the control panel "power options" menu.

joffe

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
hello,

I did everything you said but I still got 2 freezes today so it's probably something else. I played rocket league for 2 hours straight, nothing happens, then I turn the game off and not 1 minute later it freezes...
I can't figure out what this is, but it's pretty annoying.

any other suggestions?
thanks!

EDIT: ok, it just happened while playing a game so it seems that doesn't influence it

joffe

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
in addition to the first problem I also experienced failure of all my usb ports 2 times already. everything connected via usb (keyboard, mouse, external hdd...) would just stop working because they got no power. after 30 seconds or so everything starts working again but this is pretty annoying while gaming or downloading torrents.

Could this be a motherboard failure?

please help!

sounds like a motherboard or power supply failure. more likely a motherboard issue.

Solution

joffe

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
hmm ok I'll first try reinstalling windows and if that doesn't work I will rma the motherboard.

quick question: I bought the retail version of windows 10, can I just install it on the new mobo without having to buy another license key?

thanks!

the OEM version will have an issue. a standard retail version should allow it.