Question Windows 10 refuses to create a recovery usb.

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
I click next. Screen says "Please wait"...then nothing! No response at all. Looking for a work around, I guess.........

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
If I click on "Back up system files to the recovery drive." it doesn't work. But it works if I uncheck it! My USB is 60GB so there's plenty of room for the sys files. And I want those included if possible.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is Windows fully updated (most current version) or are you using an earlier version of Win 10?

It could also be a matter that your USB drive itself is the issue. Have you tried another? Are you connecting the USB drive to a front or rear panel port?

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
Problem solved! Did I mention that patience is NOT my greatest virtue. All I had to do was wait for about 25 minutes while it gathered up the sys files. It's downloading right now. Apologies for taking up your time. And it did say "Please wait", didn't it?

But while I have your ear.... What kit of tools should I always keep on hand for those cases when I really DO have a problem?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Problem solved! Did I mention that patience is NOT my greatest virtue. All I had to do was wait for about 25 minutes while it gathered up the sys files. It's downloading right now. Apologies for taking up your time. And it did say "Please wait", didn't it?

But while I have your ear.... What kit of tools should I always keep on hand for those cases when I really DO have a problem?
Are you asking about physical tools or software tools/apps?

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
Both, actually. I have a basic set of computer repair tools from Amazon. But what bag of software tricks should I keep around? Diagnostic things and the like. I'm not a tech but I do know more than the average user, so would like to have some sort of expanded set of apps to keep my machine running smoothly. Apps that I can keep on a USB in case I'm truly locked out. That kind of thing. Or is the recovery USB enough?