[SOLVED] Windows 10 reinstall help

Mar 10, 2021
I bought a PC off of a website a couple years ago. I recently bought an SSD and I've backed up all my data and now need to reinstall windows to the SSD. I was just wondering if I need a product key to activate windows again or will it not be required to enter it after its reinstalled? As far as I'm aware I wasn't sent a card with a product key, but I do have a windows 10 disc that the company sent me, problem is, my PC doesn't have an optical drive. So I need to know if I reinstall windows to the SSD will it need to be activated or will it work okay?

Solution
A fresh install on a new drive, in the same system, will not incur any license issues.

For this install, be sure you have only ONE drive connected. Reconnect others later.

USAFRet

Titan
A fresh install on a new drive, in the same system, will not incur any license issues.

For this install, be sure you have only ONE drive connected. Reconnect others later.

Solution
Mar 10, 2021

Okay thanks for the help with the licence.

Also, I looked at the guide you sent me, but I don't have a USB or anything like that to install windows on. I backed by data up over the cloud.

So is it best if I just reset my PC? Will this give me the option to install windows to my SSD?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay thanks for the help with the licence.

Also, I looked at the guide you sent me, but I don't have a USB or anything like that to install windows on. I backed by data up over the cloud.

So is it best if I just reset my PC? Will this give me the option to install windows to my SSD?
No, you can't 'reset' to a different drive.

What size/make/model is the new SSD?
How much space is consumed on the current HDD?

Mar 10, 2021
If you can get that 529GB to under 400GB, you can migrate from the old drive to the SSD.

We can walk you through that migration process if you want.
I can try to.

Is there no other way apart from migrating it?

Also, there are a load of <Mod Edit> files which could do with going as well so it's probably best if it was started fresh

Last edited by a moderator:
I can try to.

Is there no other way apart from migrating it?
Another way if you want to preserve your app settings and such, if this is a concern, is to copy the contents of C:\Users\[Username]\AppData from the original drive to the new one. I recommend doing this either before you install all your apps or right afterwards but not before launching any of them. Note that not all apps may run as if nothing happened, but more often than not it saves me the headache of reconfiguring everything.

You can then copy and paste over the rest of the data as needed.

Mar 10, 2021
Another way if you want to preserve your app settings and such, if this is a concern, is to copy the contents of C:\Users\[Username]\AppData from the original drive to the new one. I recommend doing this either before you install all your apps or right afterwards but not before launching any of them. Note that not all apps may run as if nothing happened, but more often than not it saves me the headache of reconfiguring everything.

You can then copy and paste over the rest of the data as needed.
ah okay thanks, this will be useful.

USAFRet

Titan
I can get a flash drive tomorrow but kind of wanted to get this sorted today haha.

How would the migrating process work?
First, get the actual consumed space to below 400GB.
Second, since you're using a Samsung SSD, try the Samsung Data Migration tool first.
Otherwise, Macrium Reflect.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Ignore this section if using Samsung Data Migration)
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
(Start again here)

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Mar 10, 2021
First, get the actual consumed space to below 400GB.
Second, since you're using a Samsung SSD, try the Samsung Data Migration tool first.
Otherwise, Macrium Reflect.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Ignore this section if using Samsung Data Migration)
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
(Start again here)

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
I managed to get myself a flash drive and install windows with an installation media. Thanks a lot for all your help :)