[SOLVED] Windows 10 Reset, does it really replace system files with new ones?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I’m puzzled after I’ve read this in “Windows 10 Inside-Out”:

Windows 10 reset accomplishes recovery operations by rebuilding the operating system to a clean state using existing system files.

…I’m puzzled at this “by rebuilding the operating system to a clean state using existing system files”…so it doesn’t replace system files with new ones?

In fact, it goes on to say:
The reset option is a tremendous time-saver, but it’s not all-powerful. Your attempts to reset Windows can be thwarted by a handful of scenarios:
If operating system files have been heavily corrupted or infected by malware, the reset process will probably not work.
…so system files aren’t really replaced by new ones (such as you do with a wipe and reinstall), how does a Windows Reset reinstall system files then? It fixes then somehow?

Does a Windows Refresh does the same in regards to system files?

Any clarification much welcome

Solution
its same as on any other platform, on phones its usualy called "factory reset", which keeps same system files, and just deletes user made changes
if u have corrupted system files, then u can use sfc and dism tools to repair it either online or from offline windows image
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
alternative to this would be restoring system from user made windows image (if u bought PC with preinstalled windows, then windows image should be present there)
its same as on any other platform, on phones its usualy called "factory reset", which keeps same system files, and just deletes user made changes
if u have corrupted system files, then u can use sfc and dism tools to repair it either online or from offline windows image
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
alternative to this would be restoring system from user made windows image (if u bought PC with preinstalled windows, then windows image should be present there)

Solution