[SOLVED] Windows 10 Restarts instead of shutting down

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I legitimate click "SHUT DOWN" and Windows restarts for no reason...

It's not that it says "shutting down" in the screen after I click it, it literally says "Restarting" on screen after clicking shut down...
(my brain is exploding because of this, It's super duper annoying)

Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows 10 version information.

Windows may be trying to finish some update that requires a restart.

And/or file corruption has occurred.

What happens if you let the system restart? Or is the process just a loop?

Look in Update History for any update problems.

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events that you can associate with the Restart occurrences.

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows 10 version information.

Windows may be trying to finish some update that requires a restart.

And/or file corruption has occurred.

What happens if you let the system restart? Or is the process just a loop?

Look in Update History for any update problems.

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events that you can associate with the Restart occurrences.

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/fix-windows-update-errors

Solution

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Win 10 version: 21H1 (Currently Latest)
6700k, 16GB, DDR4, 128gb SATA SSD (which Windows is installed on), One 2070
I tried all said steps, all of updates so far were done without any corruption, It also is Not a loop, after my system restarts for the first time, It shuts down for second time without restarting and I actually see the text "Shutting Down"
but for first shut down, windows somehow decides to "RESTART" instead and also giving me the "Restarting" text which is weird... basically I wait years Just to shut down the darn PC :c

Ralston18

Titan
How full is that 128 GB SATA SSD? For the most part a 128 GB SSD is too small.

Windows may be trying to do things and shuffling about to find the necessary drive space.....

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any problems.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (one at a time) to observe system performance after the next successful boot. Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using.

First while system idles, then while doing light work or browsing, lastly while doing more demanding applications.

Second: PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

As a precaution: is all important data backed up and proven recoverable and readable?

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
How full is that 128 GB SATA SSD? For the most part a 128 GB SSD is too small.

Windows may be trying to do things and shuffling about to find the necessary drive space.....

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any problems.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (one at a time) to observe system performance after the next successful boot. Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using.

First while system idles, then while doing light work or browsing, lastly while doing more demanding applications.

Second: PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

As a precaution: is all important data backed up and proven recoverable and readable?

Hi.
I have around 50 free on ssd so windows shouldn't have any struggles, I also don't have so many apps :)
the night I tried your previous solutions, It restarted again instead of shut down, but somehow, magically I'm not longer seeing it, I think it was the "Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"" part as cmd said It fixed something that time, today I came back to my PC, and after I shut it down it really did shut down without giving me "restarting" message. I checked several more times to see if it's actually fixed and it wasn't just one time and Yes! It's totally fixed :)
btw I have lots of errors in Reliability History and Event Viewer but none were related to shutting down or anything, mostly none-windows application errors.
thanks so much for saving my braincells, It was really annoying in past few month 🤕

TRENDING THREADS