Windows 10 Search bar, Settings, Cortana, Task View and Services all not working.

muthabord

Reputable
Aug 11, 2017
Since yesterday i've been experiencing severe hanging when trying to load Windows search, settings or services and other things like that. Also one specific video game broke, and one specific music software is also hanging, yet everything else seems fine. Perhaps those specific two pieces of software are a coincidence but i think maybe not. I've been googling like crazy for a solution but have found nothing. Anyone know what is up with this nonsense?

So far i've looked through chkdsk, sfc /scannnow, Windows Memory Diagnostic, those DISM health commands, and that CMD force update command. All memory seems okay and there weren't any corrupt system files. I think chkdsk did see something weird in C: but chkdsk /f fixed it.

I'm not sure it's related but in Administrative Events there is an ESENT error which logs a new every literally every 10 seconds. It says it failed in trying to read/write a file from a folder which i discovered doesn't actually exist. I'm unsure how long that has been going on or if it is in fact even related.

Solution
that is always my solution if there is a serious issue. format/reinstall. I don't have time for needle in the haystack problems. it takes me less than 10 minutes to fully wipe, format and install. problems gone.

muthabord

Reputable
Aug 11, 2017

Got to step 7 then there was no Secedit.sdb in the temp folder.

What is SMART, and do all those other memory tests i did not count or something? Just pointing out that my video games, music software and operating system are all on separate drives, so it's probably not drive failures.

muthabord

Reputable
Aug 11, 2017

I'm doing a Windows upgrade repair with an external drive now. I'll let you know if i still need help after it is done.

muthabord

Reputable
Aug 11, 2017
Yes well, i just finished the repair upgrade and nothing has changed at all, still broken. I've posted on the Microsoft community forum as well and over there a guy is recommending a full Windows 10 reinstall at this point. I'll take any other suggestions before i commit to that. That will be a couple of days of reinstalling things which i'd like to avoid if i can.