Question Windows 10 showing half installed RAM

Dec 4, 2021
Hello,

I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, and 2 memory slots. About 3 years ago I installed two 16GB DDR3 1867MHz SODIMM Corsair Vengeance memory sticks for a total of 32GB, and it was working fine and reporting 32GB total memory until recently Windows started reporting only 16GB. I checked the memory slots and made sure they are installed correctly, but that did not fix the problem. I also removed one of the memory sticks and left only one in (16GB), after doing that Windows reported only 8GB, half the capacity of the memory stick, I tried the same thing with placing one memory stick in the other slot, with the same result, only showing 8GB, only when I install both sticks (16GB each), Windows shows 16GB total, half the total capacity. When I look at the task manager, Windows reports that 2 out of 4 slots are used, but when I open up the memory bay, I only see 2 slots. I also checked the BIOS and 16GB is reported by the BIOS. I really appreciate if any one has any pointers on how to diagnose the problem.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Open Powershell (as admin) on the laptop.

Run the following cmdlet:

(systeminfo | Select-String 'Total Physical Memory:').ToString().Split(':')[1].Trim()

You should be able to copy the above line and paste the line in after the PS> prompt.

From my system:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> (systeminfo | Select-String 'Total Physical Memory:').ToString().Split(':')[1].Trim()
16,206 MB

How much RAM does your system report?

Hello,

I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, and 2 memory slots. About 3 years ago I installed two 16GB DDR3 1867MHz SODIMM Corsair Vengeance memory sticks for a total of 32GB, and it was working fine and reporting 32GB total memory until recently Windows started reporting only 16GB. I checked the memory slots and made sure they are installed correctly, but that did not fix the problem. I also removed one of the memory sticks and left only one in (16GB), after doing that Windows reported only 8GB, half the capacity of the memory stick, I tried the same thing with placing one memory stick in the other slot, with the same result, only showing 8GB, only when I install both sticks (16GB each), Windows shows 16GB total, half the total capacity. When I look at the task manager, Windows reports that 2 out of 4 slots are used, but when I open up the memory bay, I only see 2 slots. I also checked the BIOS and 16GB is reported by the BIOS. I really appreciate if any one has any pointers on how to diagnose the problem.

Thank you.
One stick at a time test in each slot.