Windows 10 shutting down incorrectly and not closing apps

r.navratil85

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Hi. Been having a problem with Windows 10 lately and after alot of searching i cant seem to find a fix.

So all of a sudden one day when i turned my PC on i had music playing on the sign in screen and when i signed in i found it came from Google Chrome browser tab I had open the night before.

So this is what I'm noticing and cant fix. If i shut down PC and reboot I will have Google Chrome, utorrent and even Task Manager still open the same as when i Shut Down and if a tab of the browser is a Youtube video it will even play on the sign in screen.

If i sign-out instead of shut down it actually closes all these things.

So I have done searching and have seen people say they have Shutdown problems and some fixes were to disable Fast Start-up or Hibernate which I did and this did not fix the problem.

I feel like this started after the latest Creators Update I downloaded but i'm not 100
% sure.

Under Power Options > System Settings I have Fast Start-up and Hibernate unchecked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please let us know which work-around or setting you changed to fix your issue. According to Colif's link it seems like Settings/Accounts/Sign-in Options has the "option" to turn that off, maybe.

I wonder how msconfig changes or using a 3rd party program like Ccleaner to stop those programs from auto-starting will fare.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its how windows closes now, so not sure ccleaner will help at all. If you leave a program open at shut down, windows 10 will reopen them when you start again

from link above
Some background first: Windows seems to shutdown as if %WINDIR%\system32\shutdown.exe was invoked with the /sg /hybrid /t 0 parameters. The magic is in the /sg parameter which tells it to "restart any registered applications" on the next boot. The "old" /s parameter still exists and shutdown can be invoked with it manually.

r.navratil85

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Hey just made the Shutdown shortcut in the other thread. Works like a charm thanks heaps. Annoying to have to do it though. Having Youtube tabs playing on your sign-in screen just seems broken imo. Thanks