windows 10 sleep issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

quashie

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I have this issue for several months now. It seems MSI tech support hasn't been helpful at all. The problem is when I put my PC to sleep mode, the PC either reboot or give me blank screen after I attempted wake my PC up using wired mouse or keyboard (press any key).

Attempt made to solve this issue:
1. MSI tech support thought this is motherboard issue. Swapped the motherboard and the sleep problem is still happening.
2. Follow this solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5812iHhpfQ - no luck.
3. Tried to downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface Driver version 11 to V.9.5.24.1790 1.5M (like other user did), but I got this message when I attempted to install "the computer does not meet minimum requirements for installing the software"
4. I did clean install and update BIOS and OS version. - no luck.

PC:
1. Motherboard MSI Z170 M5 gaming - BIOS version 1.8 - the latest BIOS version
2. Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 OS Build 10586.164

Any suggestion to solve the issue? Thank you in advance

Solution

quashie

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
It still the same. I think we will wait until the new GPU driver update. We have tried every possible way. So far, I can use hibernation mode at this time. Oh btw, I see there is Windows 7 or Windows 8/10 option on BIOS. Windows 8/10 is the one enabled. I changed it to windows 7 and it didn't help at all.

quashie

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

So, I have been back and forth with Asus about my GPU. They do not think it's driver issue. They issue me GPU replacement and we will see how it goes after I replace it. I will keep you update.

quashie

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I haven't replaced the GPU. The GPU should be arrive next week. Now I got USB error issue. Uninstall driver and restart PC -> not solve the issue. Install the newest driver chipset and not solve the issue.

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&c739a78&0&3 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Service:
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x2B
Problem Status: 0x0

Location: Port_#0003.Hub_#0002 ---- there is no usb plug-in port 003.
Hardware ID: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date: 4/16/2016 1:29:51 PM
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
Description:
Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&c739a78&0&3 had a problem starting.

Ironsingh

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

I have the same motherboard. I started disabling the controllers (there are two) when I disabled ASMedia controller it stopped looping.

I downloaded the driver over here

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#down-driver&Win10 64

Reinstall ASMedia USB3.0/3.1 Drivers

Fixed it for me.

Solution

skydivin

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
The only solution that worked for me is: Do not use DisplayPort -- use DVI or VGA. I have a Dell monitor U2713HM, and I believe it may be a bug with the monitor's DisplayPort handshaking.

I have nearly identical specs to the OP but with a Gigabyte motherboard. I have the latest Windows 10 updates which reportedly fix some wake-from-sleep issues. I have also tried multiple video cards, upgraded all system drivers, extensively played with the control panel power and BIOS settings, etc. Even after all of this, I have major resume-from-sleep issues when using DisplayPort only.

The symptoms are: Upon waking the computer from sleep, the monitor either: (1) stays asleep (pulsing power button) or (2) goes into an odd mode where the backlight is on but no pixels are lit (solid power button, does not let you turn it off). The only way to continue working is to kill power to the monitor, sleep or restart the computer, restore monitor power, then wake the computer.