Windows 10 Sluggish - No Chip Set Drivers - Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Edit: Read bottom comments for fix.

My machine ran great with windows 7 but I needed the xbox app. I did a full format and windows 10 install and now the OS runs really sluggish. Games run great but the windows interface is much less responsive than my less powerful machines. All browsers are also very slow. I installed all the drivers I could find but there aren't any chipset drivers, and the generic ones seem to be failing. It's pretty frustrating. I know my machine is very out of date but it shouldn't be this slow.

When I have the money I'll be upgrading CPU, mobo, ram. For now I would really appreciate some advice. Windows 7 with the exact same hardware ran wonderfully but for multiple reasons I needed to move to windows 10. I tried installing the windows 8 chipset drivers but it fails. Temps are good, usage looks normal.

Specs:
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev. 4
FX-8350 stock clocks, 240mm coolermaster lite
Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz 16gb
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel SSD 240gb
Seagate 3tb

Solution
There's something really weird going on there. Installing a driver shouldn't cause the thing not to POST.

If you still need this machine for now, I'd remove all the memory sticks and re-insert them with the power off, and try a BIOS battery reset. There should be a small coin cell battery somewhere on the board you can pop out by pressing with a small flat object against the retention clip. Leave it out and the machine unplugged for a minute or two before restarting.

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I closed the major apps in the back ground, such as steam, Chrome and discord. Now I'm using 2.2/16gb at Idle, 0-4% disk. My cpu is anywhere between 25-50%. After doing something like opening then immediately closing a browser, it keeps spiking up and down for a minute before smoothing out. Doesn't go over 60%, though. None of the cores are parked.

Antimalware Service Executable was using 27% CPU! I disabled "Real-time protection" and "Automatic sample submission", now that service is down to 15% but that still seems ridiculous and it doesn't seem any faster.

Edit: holy cow it jumped to 100% and slowly tapared off when I wasn't looking, didn't catch what caused it.

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I've completely disabled windows defender through gpedit.msc but little has changed. I don't see any processes taking significant cpu but any small task causes major spikes and everything is still sluggish compared to my old xeon machine.

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Those are only for Ryzen and A series chips. I don't see any 990/fx drivers for windows 10 x64

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

No. I downloaded the auto detect software and it returned "Error 175 - AMD Installer cannot continue due to unsupported AMD graphics hardware" - I have a GTX 1070

Every time I try to install something "chipset" related with amd it bring up the catalyst installer which is specifically for graphics. It appears AMD only provides chipset drivers through the licensed motherboard manufacturers and mine does not have any for windows 10. I might message both AMD and gigabyte and see what they have to say.

OK. Another thing also comes to mind that could link the problems, that sometimes there are errors in an installation of Windows (which aren't always caught by it's self-checking mechanisms). If you've only done one install it could be worthwhile to attempt another to see if the issues are resolved there.

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

JbqYdgX

When wiggling my mouse the cpu will spike from ~6% all the way up to 33% then, while still wiggling, level off at 19%. It will return to ~6% when I stop touching the mouse. Strange. I have the USB drivers installed, I just installed my official mouse drivers and nothing changed.

It also seems any task takes more cpu than it should. Opening chrome will sometimes max out my CPU then settle around 40%. Going to a new page will do the same. It really seems the CPU/chipset is not being properly utilized. I tried a clean boot and nothing changed at all. I'll give a fresh install a try. If that doesn't work I guess it's time to drop a paycheck on a new cpu/mobo/ram combo. This set up is older than I thought.

I've installed 10 on older systems (or systems that weren't as good for their time) than that and haven't seen such issues just with simple browsing in Windows. In general the demands of Windows have leveled off since Windows 7 (about a decade ago). When Vista was first released it was thought a dog, partly because so many of the systems that launched with it were woefully under-powered. Despite the outer facing changes since then Vista was the last time the innards of Windows had as large an overhaul. Particularly due to the desire to get 8 and above running well on tablets and thinner devices Microsoft has had a renewed focus on efficiency with recent releases.

In any case, these issues sound odd. A fresh install could help. If the install source is a flash drive formatted with the Windows Media Creation Tool, it's even possible the install source has errors.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

In a vacuum, they're both paths to the same end. A disk can't be corrupted by things that corrupt data drives but is subject to wear that can cause read errors. Using the MCT to create a flash drive will take you directly to the most current version of Windows 10 and helps reduce the number of updates needed.

If you have a flash, consider re-creating it and use that to try to rule out a corrupt install method.

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Okay I re-installed windows 10 pro after formatting my ssd. Still slow as heck. The only driver it didn't find were the two obvious ones, my audio interface and gpu. This is driving me insane. Wiggling the mouse makes the cpu go up, doing so with google chrome open makes it's usage go way up, too. Everything is laggy and sluggish with nothing running in the back ground. The cpu isn't throttling.

There's something really weird going on there. Installing a driver shouldn't cause the thing not to POST.

If you still need this machine for now, I'd remove all the memory sticks and re-insert them with the power off, and try a BIOS battery reset. There should be a small coin cell battery somewhere on the board you can pop out by pressing with a small flat object against the retention clip. Leave it out and the machine unplugged for a minute or two before restarting.

Solution

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Alright I feel stupid... So first off, my display port cable snapped it self. It has a button release which pushes against the back of the monitor and it stressed the solder joints. Once I got that figured out it was still as slow as molasses, so I did what you said and reset the CMOS, something I should have just tried first, and it seems to be back in action. It kills me I don't know what setting was wrong in the BIOS... But thank you for the reminder. It's always the simple things... But there were so many simple things I tried first.

Another note... I turned off "enhanced pointer precision" and the high CPU usage with mouse wiggling went down.