Question Windows 10 sneakily updating at night deleting all my work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Endymio

Upstanding
Aug 3, 2020
Another option guaranteed to prevent Windows from updating silently -- permanently disconnect your machine from the Internet. And if you're not going to install those updates, you should do that regardless.

Reactions: bignastyid

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Even my Linux based QNAP NAS wants to reboot every once in a while.

Every 4-6 weeks, it gets a firmware update.
If it has been running long enough, it reboots twice.

Once to restart from a known good config.
Then the update.
Then another reboot when the update is done.

Sure, I could just ignore those and never evar reboot.
But why would I?
Those updates are pushed out for a reason.

Just like oil changes in your car. Periodic required maintenance.

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
Yes, I am lazy and irresponsible. But my question wasn't about getting life advice from strangers on the internet,
It wasn't life advice, it was work advice, and the work advice was "Back stuff up". Pretty simple really.

In truth, if backing up our work is too much effort, well, I guess I just don't know what to say to that. It must not be that important if backing it up after each session is too much to be bothered with. It just seems like you have created a problem where none should exist.

Reactions: Mandark

Endymio

Upstanding
Aug 3, 2020
It wasn't life advice, it was work advice, and the work advice was "Back stuff up". Pretty simple really.
I could be wrong of course, but I strongly suspect the only work horstp lost was the time spent in booting the proper applications and arranging the windows conveniently. What work-oriented app doesn't auto-backup these days?

horstp

Commendable
Jul 17, 2018
I could be wrong of course, but I strongly suspect the only work horstp lost was the time spent in booting the proper applications and arranging the windows conveniently. What work-oriented app doesn't auto-backup these days?
The Brave browser doesn't, to name one example.

Endymio

Upstanding
Aug 3, 2020
The Brave browser doesn't, to name one example.
In general, it's the job of the server (or an embedded app) to save work done within a browser, not the browser itself. Other than a few fields on an unsubmitted web form, what other "work" is there for a browser to save? Unless you're trying to use it as a low-rent HTML development environment?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
You requested info on the little orange notification after an update.
This, from one of my laptops that had not been turned on or updated since mid-Dec.

Directly when the Update is complete.

At the Power button at bottom left:

There is also a similar on the Taskbar.

Click "Schedule the restart" goes to...
This is also seen if you click the notification on the taskbar.

Multiple options to do it now, or tell it when.

Reactions: Mandark

LinuxDevice

Reputable
May 20, 2017
If you don't need networking running at night when your own content is running, then perhaps you could remove the ethernet cable (assuming wired). One caveat of that is that if the update is already scheduled it will perhaps reboot anyway even though ethernet is not present. However, if there was no update and you then disable networking the system won't know there is an update and should not reboot (the update would never start).

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Windows 10 is a fantastic tool. But it does do things that seem bizaar. It wants to fix my Microsoft account.
I don't have a microsoft account.
I wont bore you with anything else. This thread has gone on longer than 2020 went on.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS