Windows 10 Special_Pool_Detected_Memory_Corruption BSOD Every time I open Chrome and other programs.

negligentgamer

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
The last thing I can recall before I started getting this specific error was updating the Nvdia GPU Drivers. Prior to that I was getting BSOD errors left and right for different things and also was having trouble with windows update which for 2 months would not update at all.

After a bunch of troubleshooting from random forums I was able to get windows to finally update and all the other BSOD stop codes stopped accept this one: Special pool detected memory corruption. I notice as soon as I open google chrome or within an hour I get BSOD. Usually hours can pass before it happens on other browsers.

It also happens whenever I try to do a virus scan sometimes. I'm at my wits end with this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
No, it needs to be isolated from your operating system. If Windows is using memory, it can't be tested.

It needs to be placed on a blank bootable drive (such as USB flash drive, CD/DVD/Bluray etc) and you need to boot to it. You may need to change the boot order in your BIOS. Some system also have a key you can press to choose the boot device right as your turn the PC on. It may say something like "Press F12 to select boot device". You would press F12 and select the USB flash drive (if that's where you placed memtest86).

Windows has it's own Memory Diagnostic but it's not as good as memtest64. It also requires a reboot as it needs to run while Windows is not running. Usually the results from that test can be found in Event Viewer...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and I will ask someone to convert file into format I can read.

Have you tested ram sticks using memtest86? Try testing with 1 stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, anything higher means you need to remove;replace the ram stick

negligentgamer

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. This system is not configured for complete or automatic crash dumps. For best results, configure your system to write out complete or automatic crash dumps. Select Tools->Crash Dump Configuration from the main menu to configure your system to write out complete memory dumps.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Tue 9/4/2018 6:17:16 PM GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt+0x1A8CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFF84853B7B6E50, 0xFFFF84853B7B6625, 0x9F01A8, 0x32)
Error: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that the driver wrote to an invalid section of the special pool.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 9/4/2018 2:58:33 AM GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090318-9500-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1A8CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFFC589103B4DC0, 0xFFFFC589103B4395, 0x6B0238, 0x32)
Error: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the driver wrote to an invalid section of the special pool.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupt:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090418-9296-01.dmp

Colif

Win 11 Master
who crashed is great at telling you what crashed but not why. Both files mentioned are part of the Windows Kernel.

SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
Parameter 4 = 0x32 = A driver freed an address, but nearby bytes within the same page have a single bit error.

instead of using who crashed, which only rarely actually shows driver at fault, after next BSOD, Go to c:/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and I will ask someone to convert file into format I can read.

dump files can show more info than what who crashed reports. I would ask for the Memory.dmp file but it can be over 2gb in size and too big to upload. MInidumps are usually only 256mb (might be kb even) in size

Another option is run driver verifer
1. before you do that, search cortana for "restore" and choose the result that says "create a restore point"
click the create button in the next pop up

2. download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (if you don't have a installer already)

reason for top 2 steps is PC can go into a boot loop after running driver verifer. These steps are a way to recover
try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

Once it bsod, upload the minidump file and we see what it shows us. - Or run who crashed again and see if it names a driver.

If you get stuck in a boot loop
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore and pick the restore point you created in step 1. PC will restart and should restart normally

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/3TzG.html

File: 090518-9671-01.dmp (Sep 5 2018 - 15:18:10)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: aaHMSvc.exe) --- [Basic info.]
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system.

Motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/GRYPHON_Z97/
You are using BIOS version: 1202 dated 06/17/2014.
The latest stable version is: 2801 dated 11/23/2015.
There is another update but it's a Beta and sometimes it's better to avoid betas. Verify this information before attempting to update. Note: Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
AAHMSvc stands for ASUS ATK Hotkey Motherboard Communication Service

what Asus utilities do you have loaded? Do you have AI Suite installed?

wonder if it ties into this
Aug 02 2010 - AsUpIO.sys - ASUS Update Input Output driver
Aug 22 2012 - AsIO.sys - ASUS Input Output driver

The 2nd sys file mentioned above is normally part of AI Suite, though can also be part of GPU Tweak 2 (Asus program for Graphics cards)

either way, the dates of the drivers show they aren't win 10 drivers and could be cause of the errors. I would remove them if you aren't using them.

The beta bios is likely to have been released to fix the Intel bugs that were found beginning of the year. MY Asus Z97 also has a new BIOS on its web site but I haven't installed it myself, I thought they would have a newer version of Intel Management Engine Interface to match it, but I don't see that here.

negligentgamer

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
I have Ai Suite 3 installed. I am still getting the BSOD. I can go hours sometimes without getting one. Whenever I open Chrome or Firefox it instantly BSOD. I can use MS Edge browser the longest without issue just spent like 5 hours im almost always usually on youtube when I crash. if any of that helps :/

Colif

Win 11 Master
That would make me look at the LAN drivers except as far as I can see, you have fairly new ones installed. I think these are the LAN drivers

May 02 2018 - e1d65x64.sys - Intel(R) Gigabit Adapter NDIS 6.x driver

Have you got Bitdefender 2018? I doubt its cause but never can tell. Checked for updates?
Could run av scan but as its a really good AV anyway and blocks almost every virus from being installed, I doubt you find anything (I use it myself)

Did you run driver verifer? it might show us the cause

negligentgamer

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

I have tried to run Bitdefender total security which I got like 2 weeks ago. I can't get all the way through a scan without BSOD. How will I control my Fans if I uninstall AI SUITE? I don't use it much accept to occasionally check temps and maybe adjust my cpu fan speed. You actually helped me back in late 2016 with my rig. At the time tho it was my cpu cooler that went bad. Thanks for helping me yet again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wasn't suggesting Bitdefender is the problem

I let the bios look after fan speeds, I had AI suite installed when I first got the PC and tried to use it to adjust my fan speeds but I was clearly a noob as once or twice my PC got so cold it managed to go below a temp where CPU fan stopped completely. That soon convinced me I didn't like AI suite and have since allowed BIOS to control CPU fan speed.

Did you ever run driver verifer?

repeat customers :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on your ram sticks, 1 stick at a time. up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, anything higher is too many. remove/replace ram sticks that show errors.

ram could be cause of error, especially since the error survived through an update to a new version of win 10

gardenman

Splendid
No, it needs to be isolated from your operating system. If Windows is using memory, it can't be tested.

It needs to be placed on a blank bootable drive (such as USB flash drive, CD/DVD/Bluray etc) and you need to boot to it. You may need to change the boot order in your BIOS. Some system also have a key you can press to choose the boot device right as your turn the PC on. It may say something like "Press F12 to select boot device". You would press F12 and select the USB flash drive (if that's where you placed memtest86).

Windows has it's own Memory Diagnostic but it's not as good as memtest64. It also requires a reboot as it needs to run while Windows is not running. Usually the results from that test can be found in Event Viewer. It's recommended that you use memtest86 instead.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS