Question Windows 10 Spins Down HDDs and Freezes on Their Access BUT Dual Boot Ubuntu Doesn't

MRresoMC

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Hello,
I've tried literally everything from simple power options in Windows, HDD Sentinel, hdparm for Windows and turning off APM through CrystalDiskInfo. None of that works.

Ever since I upgraded from Intel to Ryzen 3700X I get HDD spinning down (going to sleep) and then it spins up on subsequent access. This causes freezes in the programs which use the HDDs and also shortens the lifespan of the drives significantly. The sound is also unbearable - every 10 seconds or so, I get a HDD spinup and a "buzz" sound.

The main drives for Windows and Ubuntu are SSDs, which are, of course, not affected by spindowns.

I'm dual booting Ubuntu and when I use the very same HDDs from there, they work just fine. No weird sounds, no spin ups, no freezes. I can leave them idle or use them at their full capacity - Ubuntu doesn't trigger this issue.

This means that the issue is stemming from Windows 10, not from the hardware itself.

IF YOU HAVE A BIT MORE TIME, READ ON:

I first had a B450 Tomahawk mobo - the problems started here but I could easily resolve them with a handy program KeepAliveHD.
Then, I had to return the B450 (not good with 3rd gen Ryzen) and I got MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus. With this mobo, no matter what I do, the problem persists.
As I said though, it has to be a Windows issue, since in Ubuntu the HDDs behave as they should.

MRresoMC

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
The default settings for Windows 10 power, all Windows, is Balanced which by default idles the HDDs. You can change that to not do that under the power options:

Maybe I wasn't clear enough at the beginning of my post. I tried everything, including changing the power settings to never turn off the HDD and it doesn't work. Also, it's not 20 minutes, HDDs spin down every 10 seconds or so.

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
I had a kinda similar problem. I solved by installing intel rapid storage technology (it installs some drivers along side the utility).
after installing launch the utility and disable "link power management". do a reboot after that and you can do some tests to check if that worked.

MRresoMC

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Hmmm. After installing all the drivers, the HDD problem still persists. I installed all the drivers from the mobo's support website and also from AMD's site - the RAID driver doesn't want to install since I don't run RAID.
Apparently, there are no SATA drivers provided by AMD. They say we should use default Microsoft drivers.
I'd really just like to ditch Windows altogether, but I'm an Adobe CC user...