Windows 10 SSD dilemma!!!

mbalgoth17

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hello there!

I have a dilemma... I'm wanting to by a 250 GB SSD for my free windows 10 upgrade. Right now, my windows 7 installation is on a WD black hard drive. I'm also using another WD black drive as well. I'm wanting to install windows 10 on an SSD without having to uninstall my programs and such on my WD drives. Is this possible? And if so, How? Also, is it possible to remove may windows 7 installation from my WD drives without having to remove all my other programs?

Thanks for the help!!!

Solution
Well, you could spend a lot more money and get a bigger SSD. Or you can pick and choose what you move. Ideally your SSD only contains your OS and programs you use a lot. Everything else can be stored on a HDD. The Samsung SSD should come with migration software that can help you move from one to the other. However, the controls on the EaseUS software are more granular. Either way, it will take some preparation on your part to whittle down what you are going to put on your SSD.

mbalgoth17

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

I'm a little unsure on how this works. I have two HDDs. Both have windows 7 installed on them (I'm not sure why. I can't remember). With this program will I have to upgrade to windows 10 on one of my HDDs, back everything up, wipe my HDD, put a fresh install of windows 10 on the SSD, and then move averything back to my HDDs? That sounds like a huge pain in the butt!

mbalgoth17

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Will that work if my HDD is larger and has more data than the SSD?

utgotye

Admirable
Doesn't matter if it is larger, the free space will scale accordingly. Obviously if you are trying to put 300GB of data on a 250GB SSD, you are going to have problems. There's also the matter of trying to keep a minimum of 10 - 15% free space on your SSD to allow for proper garbage collection/TRIMing.

mbalgoth17

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Well, I guess that's the problem. My HDD probably has 700gb of data on it. Possible more. What is the best solution now?
I'm planning on getting a Samsung evo 250gb SSD.

utgotye

Admirable
Well, you could spend a lot more money and get a bigger SSD. Or you can pick and choose what you move. Ideally your SSD only contains your OS and programs you use a lot. Everything else can be stored on a HDD. The Samsung SSD should come with migration software that can help you move from one to the other. However, the controls on the EaseUS software are more granular. Either way, it will take some preparation on your part to whittle down what you are going to put on your SSD.

Solution

mbalgoth17

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Alrighty! Thanks a bunch for your responses and your time. I greatly appreciate it!