Windows 10 Stop 1809 and Future Version Upgrades

Work has me tasked with creating Windows 10 Images.

They want the computers to be able to run all updates except the one that upgrades Windows to the next version.

I know 1809 isn't out yet due to the infamous bugs, but they want to stay at 1803 until 1809 and all future versions have been tested with the software we use .

I thought i saw this option in GPO that only blocks version updates, but I am unable to find it again.

Google only shows results for disabling updates entirely.

Windows 10 Pro is the OS

Solution
You can "Defer" the updates but not completely stop them. I have a GPO setting deployed to 10 machines that stops it from looking for updates automatically as we use ManageEngine to maintain patches for Windows.

I can't say for sure how long this stops it but so far with this on no one has automatically upgraded to 1803 that's still on 1709 unless they go and manually check for updates.
You can "Defer" the updates but not completely stop them. I have a GPO setting deployed to 10 machines that stops it from looking for updates automatically as we use ManageEngine to maintain patches for Windows.

I can't say for sure how long this stops it but so far with this on no one has automatically upgraded to 1803 that's still on 1709 unless they go and manually check for updates.

Solution
After a lot of problems with 1803 went back to 1709. That in itself created a lot of problems.

You can pause updates for 30 days. You can pause feature updates for a year.

It is found in "Update and Security" at the very bottom of the Windows Settings page. Then click on "Advanced Options" in the middle of that page.

maybe look at the wushowhide.diagcab
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window
and hide the updates?

it would be ok for a few machines.

this links shows group policy setting:
https://www.guidingtech.com/48828/delay-disable-mandatory-updates-windows-10/

(not sure how well it works)

I have not seen it out in the wild yet. If I try to find it on my home desktop it still doesn't push to it.

USAFRet

Titan

hmm...I thought I had read where it was back out.
Guess not yet.

We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)* for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.

We will provide an update when we resume rolling out the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to customers.

Apparently it is still on hold (version 1809).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-1809-zip-bug-now-fixed-so-will-microsoft-rerelease-october-update-today/

I installed it a few days after it was pulled the first time. it is running on two of my machines now.
I am not sure if it got pulled a second time. looks like the version I have on my laptop is version 1809 (os build 17763.55)

USAFRet

Titan

Same version as on my systems. I upgraded before they pulled it offline the first time.
And I saw none of the initial issues.

Do you know of a way to do a fresh install (with a new ISO) to 1709 for example.

USAFRet

Titan

No.
And none that will stick. At the very least, it would bump up to 1803.
And then 1809 when it comes back online.

And, since Win 10 is on this rolling update concept, v1709 will actually fall off support before long for Home and Pro users.

18 months to be precise so 1709 has until April of 2019.

I had Windows 10 paused on 1709. I had version 1709 working well, but the regular system updates (delayed for 30 days) kept coming and caused problems. So I allowed 1803 to install since 1809 was on hold. I don't like 1803. The version of 1709 I have now works but with problems. And version 1809 is on hold with problems.

USAFRet

Titan

What specific difference between 1709 and 1803 did you not like?

It was more of a situation that it didn't fix the problems with 1709, and created more. For example the Power functions are messed up. Sleep mode doesn't work right. Even when the Sleep mode is turned off, it goes into Sleep mode. Turning Sleep mode on works until it locks up the system.

I'm also having problems with my monitor waking from sleep mode (whether turned on or not). With sleep mode turned on, it has gone into a loop from power on to sleep to power on.... With sleep mode off and monitor off mode on, it works until it stops waking. Then I can reset the monitor by unplugging the power and DisplayPort, and it will work normally for a few hours to a few days.

With both Sleep and Monitor off set to never, it will stay on for a while. And then it will go to sleep mode anyway. And it will wake normally until that stops too. And then I reset the monitor again, and it starts all over again.

To complicate thing more, the monitor seems to work fine on Widows 7.

Another problem is that Windows troubleshooter doesn't work right. For example, attempting to detect new hardware will lock up the system every single time.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008

If I were you I would do a full reinstall (clean not upgrade).. I have current 1803 version and its just fine and dandy.. BUT with a few computers I ended up reinstalling display adapter drivers, network drivers, and a few other things on some.. just make sure everything is fully updated.

As for the sleep mode.. that could also be an issue if you did not install Win 10 clean. or do a master power reset for the profile. I had to do that on one or two computers that updated to 1803 from 1709 versions.

Open an elevated command prompt.
Type or copy-paste the following command:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

and you should be AOK then just reupdate your power settings to what you want. (like I never use sleep on any computer) but I had a few asus laptops that updated and they would stupidly still go to sleep even though I had it turned off.. once I reset the power schemes I never had the issue after.

This whole scenario with the sleep mode began in the first week of October. There was an update installed on October 5 2018, and 1709 hasn't been the same since. I uninstalled that update. I updated to 1803. I tried to update to a new ISO of 1809, but downloads were suspended. So I went back to 1709.

I don't really want to do a new install of 1803, when 1809 is the newest version anyway.

Open an elevated command prompt.
Type or copy-paste the following command:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

and you should be AOK then just reupdate your power settings to what you want. (like I never use sleep on any computer) but I had a few asus laptops that updated and they would stupidly still go to sleep even though I had it turned off.. once I reset the power schemes I never had the issue after.

I've tried all of the Power options. I've reset the each Power option several times. I've tried some suggested individual changes within the Power options too (like setting PCI to never).

Right now Power mode is High Performance and it is set to defaults with both "Sleep" and "Monitor off" set to never.