Question Windows 10 stuttering and slow after awhile

Jun 22, 2019
I am using Windows 10 Home version came with my laptop - A G7 7558
My laptop specs:
Intel i7-8750H
GTX 1060 Max-Q
8GB DDR4

It has this really annoying symptom, after 1-2 months, it starts to slow down a lot, especially on high RAM Usage, every games stutter at the beginning of every session ( the framerate drop every 2 seconds ), i have to let the game "load" for a couple of minutes in order for it run smooth. Photoshop + Chrome = almost unusable.
The problem is everytime i do a "Reset this PC" ( either keeps my files or delete everything ), Windows runs smooth again, then repeat its stuttering issues after a month or 2. Then i do a reset, then its gone, then it returns after awhile.
So my Windows was slow as usual 2 months ago, then they release a new update ( May 2019 - 1903 ), i also was messing with the virtual memory - paging file to another drive, didn't know what i was doing, then i manually updated my Windows through the official website. Somehow, it ran very smooth, no game stutter, even big file PTS + Chrome still runs very well, just like when i do a full reset, didn't install anything new, but then after a month, it slows down again. I'm now messing with the paging file things, didn't make any different.

Note: My C:\ drive keep decreasing slowly, it always happen right when my laptop starting to slow down.

Ralston18

Titan
I would do some disk cleaning. Personally I try to maintain around 30% free space.

Plus I generally do not use indexing either - that could be another pro vs con discussion....

Deleting old files will make a difference. Windows.old for example can take a lot of space.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/delete-windows-old-4584678

Google for more information as you deem necessary and appropriate.

Fragmentation can also be a problem but only HDD's should be defragmented.

Make and model drive?

You may be able to do some cleaning out on your own. Games you no longer play, Photos that are seldom viewed. Old documents in any format.

As always ensure that all data is backed up and verified readable and recoverable.

Windows will do some cleaning up for you. I have used CCleaner for many years (free version) and it works very well. Just forego any Registry cleaning...

Other thoughts and suggestions:

Was the laptop left on and connected during the night? There may have been some download that launched during "after hours".

And do take a look at the Windows 10 Update History. Could be that Windows is setting up for an update.

Or it could be some other application. Use Task Manager to access the Startup tab. Look for some application running in the background that may be doing downloads or otherwise causing the loss of disk space.

And do not overlook Chrome as the possible culprit. You may have overlooked some "Accept" (by default) box that went ahead and downloaded more stuff. Or Chrome itself may be buggy or corrupted. A reinstall may fix all that.

Jun 22, 2019
I would do some disk cleaning. Personally I try to maintain around 30% free space.

Plus I generally do not use indexing either - that could be another pro vs con discussion....

Deleting old files will make a difference. Windows.old for example can take a lot of space.

Reference:

Make and model drive?

You may be able to do some cleaning out on your own. Games you no longer play, Photos that are seldom viewed. Old documents in any format.

As always ensure that all data is backed up and verified readable and recoverable.

Windows will do some cleaning up for you. I have used CCleaner for many years (free version) and it works very well. Just forego any Registry cleaning...

Was the laptop left on and connected during the night? There may have been some download that launched during "after hours".

And do take a look at the Windows 10 Update History. Could be that Windows is setting up for an update.

Or it could be some other application. Use Task Manager to access the Startup tab. Look for some application running in the background that may be doing downloads or otherwise causing the loss of disk space.

And do not overlook Chrome as the possible culprit. You may have overlooked some "Accept" (by default) box that went ahead and downloaded more stuff. Or Chrome itself may be buggy or corrupted. A reinstall may fix all that.

Thanks for the help
Reinstall Chrome, even installed different Chrome based browser.
Deleted all of my videos, now my C:\ has ~90GB free of spaces
Installed CCleaner, cleaned everything i could
We will see how it go

Jun 22, 2019

Reference:

Make and model drive?

Nothing changed much, my C:\ drive ( windows drive ) still decreasing, it already went down 6GB since yesterday but i noticed that when im messing with the drive file paging, ( i set my HDD to no paging ) it fixed my issue, ( or i thought so ) laptop ran pretty smooth . But another problem pops up, my laptop starting to go crazy after a long usage, everything started to crash, screen blackout for a millisecond, like when you disable your graphics card and turn it back on right away sort of thing. Rebooting only fix it temporary for a few hours. Setting it to system managed makes the crash go away but my laptop is back to snail processing speed.
I just remembered a similar happened when i did the 1903 update while editing the paging thing ( set C:\ to no paging and HDD to some random numbers lmao ); it ran smooth for a month, but just this one time, it started to flicker just like that, got a BSOD, reboot, everything gone crazy, it's like my graphics card is dead, videos or any website ran for 10 secs then crash, reboot many times, still the same. So i set the paging file stuffs all back to system managed then restart, everything back to normal except its still slow and laggy

Extra weird things happen only when my computer is at its slow form: Scrolling down too long and fast make scrolling "disable", changing tab/program or middle mouse click fixed it temporary.
Can't drag and drop after a heavy work and long usage of Photoshop ( both CC2018 and CC2019 )

Side note: Dell G7 7558 has a really terrible battery problem, ( the only fix is to unplug something from the laptop then installed it back in, good job Dell ! ) don't know if its anything to do with the issue: It runs like a family chipset with 2GB of RAM struggling on Windows 10 when using on battery.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Three thoughts/suggestions:

First just let Windows 10 manage the paging. Change nothing else for a few user sessions.

Second run the built-in Windows 10 troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something

Third run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

And do remember that you can use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

If indeed at "a snail's pace" then either tool may identify the culprit.